Lost tank marking......what would YOU do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
Hypothetical Situation, created to see the general consensus.

You take a day trip on a charter boat, you bring all your own gear, including 2 tanks that you had filled with Nitrox a few weeks ago.
The dive is a wall dive in the Bahamas, with depths ranging from surface to +600ft
The crew loads all the gear up, and somehow in the process, manages to damage or lose the tank marking tape on the tanks.
Prior to your dive, you notice this, and reach into the gear box to re-mark the tanks, after checking it with your O2 gauge. You find that you have left the “oxycheq” at home. You ask around, and no-one else has one on the boat.
Do you;
A: Re-mark the tank with what you thought the percentage was and continue with the dive.
B: Remark the tank with 40% (the highest percentage you could possibly of had in it) and continue the dive with a 40% profile.
C: Sit up front with the skipper and swap fishing tales for the rest of the day, basking in the warm sun, and cursing yourself for your negligence.

Of course your name is on the tank so you at least know which is yours right?

You know the depth of the dive?

I would assume you knew the depth of the dive earlier when you analyzed the gas. I certainly would have made sure I had an appropriate mix for the planned dive before getting on the boat or leaving home for that matter. I would remember what the mix was...

I'm thinking I would go diving.

A good argument for diving the same mix all the time maybe.

For the sake of this discussion, no, the tanks have no name on them.
The plan was pretty open, although a MOD was set at 120ft.

I think you see where Im heading Mike:D
(for the record, All my tanks are stenciled):wink:

Are you saying there's some Nitrox cylinders mixed in with all the other cylinders and there's no way to identify them?

Or that you know which are your cylinders and you just don't remember what's in them...

Roak

first I log into my logg book every time I fill my tanks and with what, including nitrox % that way I have then , second it pays to make sure you know ahead time other than tank marking because I asume you checked them at the store before hand !!!
hope it helps for the future!!!!!!!!

roakey once bubbled...
Are you saying there's some Nitrox cylinders mixed in with all the other cylinders and there's no way to identify them?

Or that you know which are your cylinders and you just don't remember what's in them...

Roak
Your pretty darn sure that they are yours, and you THINK its 32%.

Seems to me that anybody on the boat who can't positively ID their tanks should join you in whatever discussions you were going to have with the captain. If you can positively ID your tanks, then diving with 40% O2 and 79% N would seem to be safe.

awap once bubbled...
Seems to me that anybody on the boat who can't positively ID their tanks should join you in whatever discussions you were going to have with the captain. If you can positively ID your tanks, then diving with 40% O2 and 79% N would seem to be safe.
Are you sure about that? Would a 40% profile be ok, if by chance it was 32%, dont forget we have to allow for MOD and "N Loading".

If there were other tanks to use on the boat, I would have to go for that option. But you'd have to positively identify what is in those tanks. If not, you've got yourself a suntan day with a credit due by the charter operator if they truly messed you up. I don't know how you-or anyone on that boat-could be comfortable putting on a tank that was unclear of it's contents.

awap once bubbled...
I just re-read your post AWAP, Sorry, I see where yourheading......MOD of 40% with a time profile for 21%.....I getcha.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom