Divemaster Question!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boats

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Howdy!

I'm new to the board, and I've decided to move forward with my skills! Well, more along the professional level!

I've seen some posts of people who switched from PADI to NAUI, and was wondering which organization is the best. Or, is it just a matter of preferance? I'm curious about the Dive Master program(s).

Would enjoy some 3rd party insight! My thanks! :D

- Boats

I think its a matter of preferences. I made the switch and very please in doing so. I would say the most important thing is to find a instructor who you are comfortable with and go for it. Be it PADI, NAUI SSI or what ever.

Howdy!

I'm new to the board, and I've decided to move forward with my skills! Well, more along the professional level!

I've seen some posts of people who switched from PADI to NAUI, and was wondering which organization is the best. Or, is it just a matter of preferance? I'm curious about the Dive Master program(s).

Would enjoy some 3rd party insight! My thanks! :D

- Boats
What do you want to do as a divemaster? They have different styles of training, and business opportunities.

Well, NAUI DM is a superset of NAUI AI, while PADI DM precedes PADI AI. On the other hand, if you're going to be working for a PADI Instructor, you basically have no choice in the matter.

Oh, and as for which program is the best... that's Not A question yoU rarely see asked In these forums, and it's not likely to provide useful results (although there may be some entertaining hints as to personal preferences, or so they say :biggrin:). The problem with the question is that defining "best" is simply not possible. If you're planning to become an independent instructor in an academic setting, you may value the academic freedom of one program. If you're planning to go to the islands to work at a cruise hub, you will certainly have different requirements. What's best for one may be all but worthless for the other.

(Of course, it's certainly not wrong of you to have asked the question, but instead of an answer, the responses you get are suggestions as to more useful ways of thinking about the situation. Take them to heart, and consider your goals and motivations, and you'll come up with lots more questions, some of which we might even have true answers for. :wink:)

Hey, thanks for posting some replies!

I get the Chevy vs. Ford, that makes sense. As does that you'll get a variety of opinions. :)

I'm in my low 40's, and would like to do something on the side (instruct) which I enjoy. I've been talking with various shops of various agencies to see what they have to say. I guess I was looking for a "non-shop" view!

Again, appreciate the info, thanks!

Find a shop you want to work with/for first. Make sure they are going to allow you to DM/Instruct for them. Then tailor your training to their needs.

From my point of view, is always better to choose instructors, not agencies.

Every agency has small differences in their programs, but in the end they are pretty much the same. Whatever you are going to learn comes from the books and from the instructor. I always look for the experience of the instructor. That makes the difference to me. Later on you can crossover to any agency you like no matter the instructor because you learnt the most from your original instructor.
This is not the easiest way, and maybe not very practical to some people, but is my style.

If you don't have time or money or simply don't want to do all this, I'd recommend you to choose the agency with more job opportunities. You'll learn a lot once you are working.

my humble vision of all this we love...

Nacho

Thanks again folks!

I'm doing some more "market research"! I appreciate the input! I know how busy the day can be!

-Boats

Just my $.2, while I agree with the other posters about the instructor and the agency doesn't matter etc. I have the materials from both. While this is much I like about NAUI, I find the PADI DM materials to be better.

JR

Back
Top Bottom