Nekton Pilot Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mchiapetto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are planning to dive in the Bahamas on the Nekton Pilot in July. Can anyone that has been on board this ship give me any advice on cabin selection?

Here are the questions:

1. There are two decks with cabins, is one better than the other?

2. Are any of the cabins nicer (quieter, more convenient, etc) than others?

3. If you went again, what deck and cabin would you try to get?

Finally, I would welcome any advice on how to make the most out of our time with this liveaboard trip.

Thanks in advance.

My wife and I had the first cabin, right side, on the lower deck.

The divers on my trip were more interested in diving than partying, but if things were to get loud, I'd rather be below.:boom:

Hi There,

Did the Nekton Pilot Cay Sal itinerary in August 2001. Would strongly recommend lower deck. Those in the upper complained relentlessly about noise from passengers tromping on the top sundeck. While the lower deck does require many trips up and down a narrow gangway, the peace and quiet are worth it. I had cabin #10, starboard side in the middle. Very little engine noise/vibration and no noise from above.
I've never been seasick (praise Neptune) but I would caution that the trip across the gulf stream produced large rolling movements during my excursion which made me quite uncomfortable and virtually unable to sleep during the crossing.
You might want to pop some Bonine or other over-the-counter medication to acclimate.
I found everything else about the Nekton experience to be absolutely outstanding, though the diving itself was not on a par with Little Cayman, Bonaire, Dominica, St. Vincent, etc.
Have fun!

I felt that this boat was a little worn and smelled a liitle funky in my cabin #10 at times. I think it was the AC but I'm not quite sure. I would ask to be placed on the other boat if possible because that one is newer. Ask to be placed on the new boat I heard that they will do this if it is possible. I beleive the crew forgot to stock up on toilet paper on my trip because they were hoarding it. One day a tender with one of the crew member sheaded off by himself. Maybe he went to get toilet paper from another live aboard or one of the resorts on Belize because we had toilet paper on the last 2 days of the trip.

Hello all - I am looking into going on a liveaboard with Nekton also, but I am curious about single divers. Has anyone ever had any experience with divers who go on liveaboards without a dive buddy? Do you find that when a third "tag-along" gets put with a dive buddy partnership, it causes problems or concerns?

I am really interested in going but I am having problems finding a dive partner. I have tried posting to boards and talking with my local scuba shop, but to no prevail. And the last thing I want to do is become a "tag-along" for an already partnered and familiar diving duo whose dive intentions may be different from mine.

If anyone would be interested in looking into sharing a cabin with me and diving with me this summer on a Nekton liveaboard, please feel free to contact me. I am a 23 yr/old female AOW PADI diver, with still very basic experience, looking to expand my experiences with a liveaboard. I will be EAN Certified by the end of this month.

Mel:confused:

I would be interested in the single diver info myself...and i am an old 53yr old fart who has been around a while.

chik...if you cant find anyone let me know....i doubt i can go this year...but i am def there next year...buddy or no buddy!!!!

As far as I know, on our trip there were a few single divers that got a cabin all for one. I'm pretty sure if that they paid the regular price as if they had a dive partner, and they just lucked out and didn't have to share the cabin with another person. I believe that if it was a full boat and there were single divers that needed roomates, they would pair people up. But I would inquire about that with the dive operator.

In some of the FAQs Nekton lists, they do say that if you are traveling alone, you are subject to sharing your cabin if the boat is full. What I am wondering about is how they do the diving arrangements for divers without buddies?

Hi Scubachik, Rich, et al,

I've been diving as a single for years, both on liveaboards and at many, many resorts. I had major concerns early on, regarding being a "third wheel" or otherwise having difficulty fitting in with coupled divers. It has never once been a problem. There are lots of us out there!
I dove the Nekton a year ago last August (see post above) and had no difficulty finding a buddy; had a number to choose from. As for the cabin sharing policy, you have two options: one, to roll the dice and pay the standard double occupancy rate and hope to end up alone in a cabin, or two, as I did, pay the "single supplement" premium and have a solo occupancy guaranteed. I can't recall the exact premium, but it's steep; not far removed from paying the equivalent of two "double occupancy" rates. Nekton will gladly give you the exact figures. It's close quarters, so you may want to give this some thought!

Best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom