Question about backplate and wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StingrayBait

Reaction score
My husband is suggesting I buy a backplate and wing, but I'm not happy with the idea of a crotch strap. Do any of you ladies find this to be a problem, or uncomfortable?

He swears by it, and he's going to let me try his, but I'd like to get some other opinions.

StingrayBait once bubbled...
My husband is suggesting I buy a backplate and wing, but I'm not happy with the idea of a crotch strap. Do any of you ladies find this to be a problem, or uncomfortable?

He swears by it, and he's going to let me try his, but I'd like to get some other opinions.

SB,

I'm not going to speak for the ladies ('cause I'm not one!), but I just thought that I'd mention that the crotch strap is NOT supposed to be tight. It is just there to stabilize your rig. If fact, after suiting up, you don't really notice that it is even there.

If it were really tight, my guess is that most GUYS would not like diving it!

Just MHO.

never know it's there...

One more thing.

Just make sure the webbing you use for the crotch strap is SOFT webbing-it is very different from the harness webbing.

detroit diver wrote...
One more thing.

Just make sure the webbing you use for the crotch strap is SOFT webbing-it is very different from the harness webbing.
Hmmm....think maybe that's what rubbed Leadweight the wrong way?

:wacko:

I know how you feel. The idea of a crotch strap kept me from a BP/wing for along time but now I can't imagine diving without it. And what is ironic, is the other styles of BC's need the crotch strap worse than the BP/wing does!

The 2" webbing, even though softer than the harness webbing, just didn't feel right. It's was like I was aware of it all the time. But when I changed it to a 1" wide soft strap, it was perfect! And the strap is not tight. I can't even call my snug. When standing, it just barely touches me...does that make sense?

Do yourself a favor and try it. And make sure that your husband adjusts his porperly to fit you! I tried my husbands out first and absolutely hated it! Especially the way the webbing fit under my arm/armpit. But when I changed to a Dive Rite Deluxe harness which has an extra D-ring that makes the webbing 'pivot' beside my breast and arm making it really comfortable, that's when I really fell in love with it. It's a totally custom fit and in the water you never know you have it on.

metridium once bubbled...
Hmmm....think maybe that's what rubbed Leadweight the wrong way?

:wacko:

:D I think it's more than that!

Thanks for your notes, I'll try it. My husband also talks about not even knowing it's there, which will be a relief after all that poorly fitting rental equipment.

And Dee, I love your photos on the photography forum!

Hi there,
I'm new to diving ( OW certified ) so this might seem like a daft question, but I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of equipment a backplate and wings are? I'm building up my gear, so I'm trying to find out as much info as possible. Thanks.

DiveMar once bubbled...
Hi there,
I'm new to diving ( OW certified ) so this might seem like a daft question, but I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of equipment a backplate and wings are? I'm building up my gear, so I'm trying to find out as much info as possible. Thanks.

A BP/Wing is the most simplistic bouyancy device you can use. It consists of an oblong metal plate, either aluminum or stainless steel, that is bent and shaped to be comfortable against your back. In stead of padded shoulder straps, built-in pockets, padded cumberbuns and all the other parts that make up the body part of a regular BC, there is a length of 2" webbing that is threaded continuously through and around the backplate (BP). This webbing goes over your shoulders and back under your arms to the BP, then around your waist. Your wing is then bolted to the BP and the tank straps are added. The wing is your bouyancy device, the bladder that holds air. There are several brands of wings but that's basically what they all do.

Sounds hideous and torturous, doesn't it? :wink: Well, it's not. When you get it adjusted and fitted properly to you body, it is the only truly customized BC available. The front of you is free, there's only the 2" webbing for a belt. Very liberating! I no longer feel squeezed. I have added small velcro dump pockets to mine for weight integration and a pocket to hold slate, gloves, flashlight, etc. So simple as it is, you don't have to give up your pockets. I still feel as though I have very little on in the water. We've already mentioned the crotch strap...I never notice it's there.

Alot of people will tell you only experieced divers or only technical divers should use a BP/wing but that's bull hockey! There's no reason new divers should not start out in one. We have several new divers in our TSDT that started diving last summer in BP's and they did better than most in bouyancy control.

Feel free to ask us anything that comes to mind....that's how you learn!

Back
Top Bottom