Diving at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll let you know after tomorrow!!

I hope to see you there next Weekend.

Scott =-)

dgreatlakesdivr once bubbled...
How is the diving at Gilboa this weekend? Hopefully I will dive there next weekend. Winter has been too long this year.

There were about 20-30 people there today. Viz was 30-40ft in the shallow side and reportedly 60ft on the deep side. H2O temp was 40°F. We were being pelted with ice pellets just prior to our entry... dang, I thought winter was over!

Mike has taken almost all of the trees down on the hill behind the tower, as he is having someone take the hill off as soon as possibly next week. This will give more shallow entry access to to the water. Looks like a pretty big under taking. I'm curious to see how it will turn out.

Looks like the "counter area" in the new office is complete and putting a new doorway for access to the rental gear area. Sounds like they target moving into the new office in a few weeks.

We were "lobbying" Mike for a "quarry cam" and a "construction cam" so we can keep abreast of the changes going on.

Is the new office area next to where the air fills are happening? What are the plans for the old office area?

I can't even picture what you are saying about the hill area. Is this just to the left of the deep end path (because that's where the tower is)?

Thanks for the report. Looks like we're doing Lake Fenton instead of Gilboa tomorrow.

Hey Detroit diver

The New office will be under the Bunk house area or in the same room as the air fills. The last time I talked to him about the old office his plans were to make another apartment or two bunk houses in there, not sure though; you know Mike plans always change because he is always coming up with bigger and better ideas.

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Got it, thanks! Mike's really putting a lot of effort into making Gilboa very user-friendly. I appreciate his efforts.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Is the new office area next to where the air fills are happening? What are the plans for the old office area?

I can't even picture what you are saying about the hill area. Is this just to the left of the deep end path (because that's where the tower is)?

What NJ said about the new office location is right. Eventually, the air fills will be done on the concrete pad in front of the Tower/Bunkhouse area. At some point, this pad will have an enclosed covering over it to offer some protection from the elements.

The old office is targeted for Apartment conversion by the beginning of May (I guess one way to force yourself to do something is to rent it out for the first week of May!). Not sure how many spaces will be in there. Like NJ, I've heard 1 or 2.

And yeh, that large hill to the left of the deep area will be nothing but a memory in a month or so. Better get your memorabilia pictures now before the price goes up!

I don't think I'm telling stories "out of school" 'cause I've heard him mention it to others, but the area with the bunkhouse in it will get a major facelift and have a "lodge-type" feel to it, complete with large fireplace. Not sure of the time table on that one though. I've heard some other cool ideas too, but I have to double check to see if they are common knowledge.

Your right.... Mike has lot's of ideas and is spending lot's of money and time trying to make Gilboa the premier scuba location in the Midwest... wait... I think it already is... We just have to patient with his work. He's only one person being pulled in lot's of directions.

Have fun at Lake Fenton...

CWB
You are correct about the air fill local being outside but I thought he said he was going to leave a cement slab inside that is not tiled so he could fill inside in the winter, I guess we will see.

Now to the hill. Do you mean between where the bell has been laying and the shallow entry? Is all that going to be scraped away? Wow, if so it is going to look a lot different. The only problem with getting in there is all that junk on that slope. I'm sure he will clean that up though. Keep me posted. Were going there next weekend so I will have to ask Mike then..

Thanks again for the info.

Jeff "Great lakes diver":wacko:

Back
Top Bottom