Oriskany Dive Report week of 8.30.08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seadoggirl

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Several Trips on board the H2O Below this week. The water has been wonderful. Temps first - Flight deck 71, tower 77, surface 84. The visibility is getting better for now - Who knows what it will be after tomorrows event but for this week it was better around 70 feet. The jelly's are moving inshore but their are still some.

Okay the good stuff

I took my Octopus friends down two blue crabs yesterday and watched her turn all kinds of color with glee! She went red, then orange, then brown - I think these are all happy colors. While she was holding the first crab and I was watching with the second one - a baby grouper noticed and came over to try to take the crab away from her. While we watched she pulled the crab in closer and swatted at the grouper - in a go away! This is mine! gesture. I laughed so hard I almost drown! Once I got the water out of my mask, I gave her the second one. Watched a little longer and headed to look for spiney oysters.

Here is what I know about spiney oysters - they ain't oysters! They are more like scallops - they actually are in the scallop family. We got one and cleaned it and it actually taste pretty good. There is not a lot of meat in there so you would need a ton of them to make a meal but the shells are really pretty. You can find tons of empty shells on the Oriskany. The Octopus love to eat them. I found one this trip that was about four inches so I kept it, cleaned it and am using it for jewelry - rings, earrings etc. Nice. I'll take a picture and try to post that.

So to update everyone. The Oriskany is still a wonderful dive - come on down.

Note to all Divemasters - the fishing line is getting out of control again. I cleaned up a wad of it but if we can all get a hand full each time, we can keep it under control.

Thnx for the report

Back
Top Bottom