Red Sea Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sudiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All.

My husband and I are planning a trip to Egypt in January. We're taking a cruise down the Nile and then spending 7 nights in Hurghada or Sharm.

I'm a diver, my hubby isn't, so we'll have on-shore quarters - a live-a-board is out of the question.

So, my quests are these.
1. How will the diving be in January? Should we postpone til April or May?
2. Hurghada or Sharm? I just can't decide.
3. Is there another area better for diving further south? If so, are there any Marriott resorts in those areas? We have a timeshare and would like to take advantage of it.

THANKS!

hello,
1\in Jan you'll find it quite cold especially in upper Egypt & Hurghada; IMO, best time (weather & not too crowded) is March.
2\most of Hurghada dive are liva a boards; shore dive there is boring & to be honest, due to too much resort developments most of the shore reefs are destroyed; since your man is non-diver i would pick Sharm since there is far much more activities there (maybe you'll sicceed to convince him to get certified there as well :wink: )
3\ AFAIK; Marriott resorts are in Sharm & Hurghada only
One last point about Hurghada; food is far much better & cheaper than Sharm especially seafood cuisine.

Thank you!!! UGH. I'm a HUGE foodie. I travel to experience the best food of the world. But from what I've read on this forum, I've been leaning towards Sharm. In fact, Sharm it is! Now all I have to decide on is the time of year. January would be better for my work, but I really want to make certain that I see all that the Red Sea has to offer.

Thanks again for the response.

I was in Hurghada and Sharm last year in July. I couldn't say how weather is any other time of the year, but for diving it was great. I'd definatly head to Sharm and go off the daily boats there. Sharm is really set up better for the non-diver. There are lots of commercial restaurant chains, even a starbucks. There is also a good nightlife and other non-diving related activities.

Thanks, Jedi. I'm definite on the Sharm now, but I really hate the areas cities Sharm are getting so commercialized. I'll have to hit more authentic places in other parts of Egypt.

Thanks, Jedi. I'm definite on the Sharm now, but I really hate the areas cities Sharm are getting so commercialized. I'll have to hit more authentic places in other parts of Egypt.
Then try some non-diving activities in Sinai (hiking, trekking, or desert safaris). FYI, all these activities could also be combined with diving. For instance, you could do a one-day desert dive safari where your gear and tanks are loaded on camels to reach virgin dive sites. The whole experience is suitable for both divers and non-divers so your hubby won't get bored :)

For Sharm, I'd try to go in summertime if you want to see it at its best, inmo. That is when all the fish in the Red Sea have a convention off Ras Mohamed and the hammerheads come from the south to cruise in the depths of the Tiran Strait. A bit more crowded though. And it is hot. However humidity is not as bad as in tropical countries, but some find it too much.

Sue,
try to get in touch with Mr. Asser above "red sea shadow"; i'm hearing a lot of praises about his managed excursions; never tried it myself though; at least he'll be very able to provide his guidance & support for the choice of dive op in sharm & dahab area; for me, i usually hook up with subex (swiss op, in Movenpick on neaama bay, just 800m from mariott, little pricey though, but i know some friends working over there back from malaysia).
be sure to have fun, not only dive.
cheers!

Then try some non-diving activities in Sinai (hiking, trekking, or desert safaris). FYI, all these activities could also be combined with diving. For instance, you could do a one-day desert dive safari where your gear and tanks are loaded on camels to reach virgin dive sites. The whole experience is suitable for both divers and non-divers so your hubby won't get bored :)

OMG. That's an amazing idea!!!! Emailing you shortly! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom