Trek vs Rec wing for taller diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIOceanographer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a tall 6'3" diver who is fairly long in the torso. I dive both single tanks and double X7-100 tanks with a drysuit and steel BP and up to a 40 cu ft stage. My old wing (not a Dive Rite wing) just got a nasty slice in the bladder so it is time for a new one and I am leaning towards either a Trek or Rec wing.

Going by lift specs alone it seems a Trek wing would meet my needs but I have noted that Dive Rite also suggests that Rec wing puts more lift at the hips which may be better for trim on taller divers.

Given my height and build, I am leaning towards the Rec, but I figured I'd go to the source for an expert opinion. If I can get away with the smaller Trek Wing without my trim suffering, I'm all for it.

Thanks

Diverite web site has a solutions finder that will help answer your question.

Yep I looked at that, and that is what created my question.

If you put my info into the finder it suggests the Trek wing then adds a second suggestion that I may prefer the Rec Wing due to my height. This is what prompted me to ask here for clarification.

It depends what you are going to use it on.

With a transpac the Rec wing works great with doubles. With a backplate however it's fairly narrow profile can cause some issues as the aircell gets slightly pinched between the tanks and a fairly flat profiled plate. That can reduce the lift.

On the other hand the Trek wing is wider in profile and does not have the same potential problem. but being wider, it is more prone to excessive "taco" effect with a single tank.

Personally, I would not worry too much about the other specs. The Rec wing is a bit longer with a bit more air near the tails of the tanks, but either the Rec or Trek wing also has ample adjustment to be moved higher or lower on the plate so the center of lift is adjustable enough to make the difference between Rec and Trek wing a moot point.

If you are going to use it with frequently with a single tank and are not going to use with with doubles larger than 7.25" in diameter in combination with a backplate, I'd go with the Rec wing.

I am a tall 6'3" diver who is fairly long in the torso. I dive both single tanks and double X7-100 tanks with a drysuit and steel BP and up to a 40 cu ft stage. My old wing (not a Dive Rite wing) just got a nasty slice in the bladder so it is time for a new one and I am leaning towards either a Trek or Rec wing.

Going by lift specs alone it seems a Trek wing would meet my needs but I have noted that Dive Rite also suggests that Rec wing puts more lift at the hips which may be better for trim on taller divers.

Given my height and build, I am leaning towards the Rec, but I figured I'd go to the source for an expert opinion. If I can get away with the smaller Trek Wing without my trim suffering, I'm all for it.

Thanks

The best thing you can do is to try out both wings in your different equipment configurations. Both should serve you well, but it is really going to take a "try before you buy" to really tell which one is best.
I know this is not the definitive answer you are looking for, but it is the one that will give you the best results. The wings are really that close.
If we can help in any way, let us know.
Safe Diving,
George

Thanks for the suggestions/advice.

I agree trying both would have been ideal, but unfortunately trying both really wasn't an option. My local Dive Rite dealer doesn't really offer diveable demo units.

I ended up going ahead and getting the Rec Wing this morning at my LDS and took it for a test dive this afternoon (single tank config). It was extremely comfortable, and the trim was dead on, so I'm pretty happy with the choice. I'll get to dive it with my doubles next weekend, but so it far seems I made the right choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom