Just arrived in Philippines. Top 3 locations? Complete Newb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Antarctic-Adventurer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just flew into Manila today and have 30 days here to travel around the whole islands. I have never been here before though and wonder if some vets here can give me a quick heads up on what would be the 3/4 top places for diving here. I am primarily here to dive.

Naturally I am reading a lot here but a quick summary would be really useful...

Cheers.

You should go to any of the dive shops and they should get you pointed in the right direction.

To get you started, you can look into

Anilao (macro)
Apo Reef
Tubataha (but season is over)
Malapascua (threseher sharks)
Panglao Island
Ticlao (Mantas)
Puerto Galera

There are way too many to list off the top of my head but you will definitely enjoy the Philippines - Welcome and Mabuhay

Anilao (macro)
Apo Reef
Tubataha (but season is over)
Malapascua (threseher sharks)
Panglao Island
Ticlao (Mantas)
Puerto Galera)macro/drift)
Dumaguete(macro) aces to Apo Island(walls and macro) - different from Apo reef
Siquijor(witch island!)
Bohol/Cabilao(macro)
Moalboal
Subic Bay(wrecks)
Coron Bay(wrecks)
Sogod Bay

What kind of thing are you after and what is your budget?

Cheers,

Matt.

For September I'd say

Puerto Galera - convenient for Manila and great macro, quiet right now so accommodation is plentiful and cheap

Coron bay - good wrecks, quiet seas in September and still warm in the water

Visayas - Bohol - nice walls and schools of larger pelagics

With 30 days I'd limit myself to three destinations. It can be slow traveling around so best not to do too much

Have fun!

Rick

yeah... anilao or PG... you can use this as a start-off (get acclimated) or as a last stop since it's easier to get to manila from these places w/o flying

then the visayas: bohol, dumaguete (apo island), cebu - you can take fast ferries between these locations so you don't waste dive days in off gassing

if you're up to it GenSan is pretty cool...

i'd give coron a try as well as it's a wonderful place

Jag

Hi there,

If we can be of any assistance to you just drop me a line . We are based in Moalboal, Cebu and the only British owned facility on the island :wink:.

Hope too see you soon in sunny Moalboal :D

Regards

Carl Dales
Owner
Cebu Dive Centre
Panagsama - Moalboal
Cebu - Philippines

Hi, Can recommend Cebu, a good friend of mine has just opened an hotel near Boljoon (Stu Gould, British, long established in Cebu - Padi instructor). Handy for Balicasag, Panglao. His website is granadabeachph.com, - take a look. Has his own local style boat.

Fabulous choice of Country, sure you'll love all aspects of it.

Regards

Philip Nollett (uk)

Hi, Can recommend Cebu, a good friend of mine has just opened an hotel near Boljoon (Stu Gould, British, long established in Cebu - Padi instructor). Handy for Balicasag, Panglao. His website is granadabeachph.com, - take a look. Has his own local style boat.

Fabulous choice of Country, sure you'll love all aspects of it.

Regards

Philip Nollett (uk)
"No smoking resort", why? :D. looks very nice though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom