HELP I really need Info about the Oceanic Tour BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjens

Reaction score
Does anyone use this BC? What is your experience with it? Do you like it? Recommend it?

First, I did a search of Scubaboard. This question has been asked on two prior occasions without a single answer either time.

Next I did something I don't like to do, I went looking at LDSs in the area. I have looked for this BC in 3 different LDS and haven't even found one to look at.

Here is my problem. I am looking for BCDs for my three teenage sons so they can start working on proper weighting and trim. I would love to get them all BP/Ws but I can buy two Tours on Leisurepro for the price of a single BP and Pioneer wing.

We will be primarily diving single AL80s in cold water (Monterey) in 7mm rented farmer johns (they are still growing) in 30-60fsw.

It looks like a clean rear inflation BC, but I would really like some positive recommendations before I buy sight unseen.

Thanks
RJ

ps, for those of you that have been helping me with my search for a BP/W, I am still looking. I keep coming back to the pioneer 36# wing and a FredT BP. Unfortunately, the the price and hassle factor has kept me from buying anything yet. The Dive-Rite Trek wing is significantly less expensive, but too many people on this board have argued against the Rec or Trek wing with single tanks.

rjens once bubbled...
Here is my problem. I am looking for BCDs for my three teenage sons so they can start working on proper weighting and trim. I would love to get them all BP/Ws but I can buy two Tours on Leisurepro for the price of a single BP and Pioneer wing.

Never heard of the Tour but.....

Proper weighting and trim = BP/Wing

It may be more expensive, but you can't put a price on safety and comfort in the water. I would personally save up until I could do it right.

Look at it this way, spend the $ for a BP/Wing and you'll have all you will ever need for single tank diving. You will never have to buy another BC...ever. It will always do what you require and will never become obsolete.

You would eventually become disallusioned with the Tour anyway...and wind up with a BP/Wing later.

I dive a lot and have never seen a Tour. A few other BC's that you might want to look at that are similar lightweight back inflate BC's would be the Zeagle Escape, Seaquest Balance and Mares Jubilee. The first two you will probably find some users here or over at Rodales message board. The Mares is a bit new. Oceanic does not have a large share of the market, other than with their computers, which are everywhere. There may not be much info available on the Tour, but I think you are pointed in the general right direction by looking at a compact lightweight back inflate BC.

IDI has a new minimalist back inflate BC called the travel tech or something like it. It was on diver's discount for $229. Nobody will know anything about it either, but it looks promising.

I wish that I could do more for you. It must be a job and a half to ride heard on 3 teenage boys.

Oceanic Tour APS
Executive summary - A top performer that shares many of the Probe's performance characteristics.

Style - Back buoyancy; weight-integrated.

If you're looking for fit and comfort in a back-buoyancy BC, this could be it. The newest version of the Tour APS (adjustable positioning system) has an improved weight system as well as excellent stability that helped make it a Tester's Choice in the first place.

Usage Tip - Try out the oral inflate mouthpiece—it's turned 90 degrees to the inflator—to make sure you like it.

Again, I will be buying 3 of these for 13, 14 and 16 yr old new divers. I know that I would be better off buying bp/w, but I can't justify $1300 to buy 3 halcyon Pioneer wings, 3 SS BPs, 6 cam straps, plus misc. hardware. I am trying to balance Buying vs. Renting for 3 teenagers that will probably dive 15 - 30 times each in the next 3 - 5 years.

So for now, my choice is Oceanic Tour for $175 each @ Leisurepro or renting Jacket BCs.

Thanks
RJ

Here's a picture of the Tour, What do you think?
oceanictour.jpg

:confused:

Well. I see where you are comming from. $1650 for 3 pioneer 36 systems or $525 for 3 Oceanics.

The only other thing I can think of getting close to that price range in back inflate is the Zeagle Scout @ $215, and it has only partial weight integration.

My advice would be to order one and see what it looks like before cashing in all the chips for 3.

At that price these BC's are probably more than a year old, have cosmetic flaws, or may have come directly from the OEM and may differ slightly from what Oceanic distributed. That may not matter much in use.

Why not buy ONE BC and see if you like it. If you do....buy two more...if you Don't then there is always eBay.

I emailed LP to get more info on them and this is what they said.

"the bc is a discontinued model so were giving it away @ a very low price. it's brand new, never used & it's in excelent condition. "

So, what the heck. With eBay as a backup (thanks for the suggestion) I am out $50-80 tops if it doesn't work out.

Thanks for the feedback.

RJ

rjens - I wanted to thank you for bringing this great deal to my attention.

I too have been wrestling what to do for my 15 old daughter. She's outgrowing (both size and skill) the cheap jacket bc that was bought for her just after getting certified last year. We've been working hard on trim, and I'm sure that moving to a back inflate will do for her what it did for me not long ago. She also wants to lose the weight belt from around her waist.

I've been looking for something reasonable as it will be traded out again as she continues to grow, and I was resigned to buying something used until I read your post.

I'm going to hit a couple of shops here before I order as I always like to touch/feel before I buy. But even if I can't find it , it was a Tester's Choice from Rodale's so it can't be all bad.

Marc :jester:

Marc,

Thanks for the positive feedback. The one I ordered is supposed to be delivered Friday, I'll let you know how it looks. Also, I was looking closer at the deal, and if you want the integrated weight, I think the pockets are $29 more.

RJ

I have one, I use it, and I like it. The back inflation is nice, holds tank secure. Drop pockets are O.K., haven't had one come out by accident. It has about 50 dives so far. When I purchased mine it was over $300, had a couple of friends that ordered them from LP, and they were the same, course LP forgot to send the weight drop pockets they had ordered, they were asking me which pocket to put the weight in:wacko:

That said, my new Hacylon MC Pioneer (36#), and SS backplate are being delivered tomorrow (looks like I have gone over the edge), and I can't wait to start using it. Looks like I have to find some water this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom