Hurricane Ike Looks at Northern Antilles, T&Cs, Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Expected to make Cat-1 and follow Hanna to an extent...

Attachments

• TD9.gif
    TD9.gif
    35 KB · Views: 102
  • TD9 2.gif
    TD9 2.gif
    33.3 KB · Views: 75
dammit you're quick...

:lol:​
I was just about to post about TD9 as the upgrade happened...

Just leave the shutters up from Hanna; Ike is following a similar approach and historically storms there tend to go north to northwest - away from the Caribbean...

Attachments

• Ike.gif
    Ike.gif
    35.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Ike2.gif
    Ike2.gif
    40.5 KB · Views: 80
  • History.gif
    History.gif
    35.3 KB · Views: 85
It's amazing, total news coverage, models, hurricane satellites, PHds, hurricane hunter aircraft, and predictions. It's two days out and all they can say is Hannah will probably make land somewhere between south florida and north carolina. All these assets and all they can do is warn us about the "CONE OF UNCERTAINTY" which follows the "CONE OF CONCERN" you can now get "CONE ON YOUR PHONE" from one of the local news stations.To say that Ike will follow Hannah means nothing, they don't know where Hannah is going. Lots of hooplah but all they can say over and over is the same general info. No one knows where it will hit.

Varying forces at work I suppose, and Hanna seems to be clearing a path thru some of it for Ike. Be prepared and stay that way. From Dr.Masters....
The track forecast for Hanna
The current steering flow driving Hanna to the southeast is very weak, and we can expect erratic motion over the next day. By Wednesday, a rather strong high pressure ridge will build over Hanna, forcing it northwest to a landfall in the Southeast U.S. Due to the storm's expected rather random motion over the next day, plus the expected track of Hanna parallel to the Southeast U.S. coast, the location of final landfall has a much higher uncertainty than usual. South Carolina would be the best bet, since it sticks out further than northern Florida and Georgia.

It's amazing, total news coverage, models, hurricane satellites, PHds, hurricane hunter aircraft, and predictions. It's two days out and all they can say is Hannah will probably make land somewhere between south florida and north carolina. All these assets and all they can do is warn us about the "CONE OF UNCERTAINTY" which follows the "CONE OF CONCERN" you can now get "CONE ON YOUR PHONE" from one of the local news stations.To say that Ike will follow Hannah means nothing, they don't know where Hannah is going. Lots of hooplah but all they can say over and over is the same general info. No one knows where it will hit.

I'm a mathematician. I worked with a group of meteorologists for several years. The algorithms and math for weather prediction are insanely difficult. Do not underestimate how good these guys are. If you don't (or can't) understand the difficulty of this, lay off the criticism. It's impossibly difficult to predict patterns and storm direction to the degree that you expect. A few years ago, they were unable to even predict hurricane preformation. Thousands of lives have been saved because of these models.

I'm a mathematician. I worked with a group of meteorologists for several years. The algorithms and math for weather prediction are insanely difficult. Do not underestimate how good these guys are. If you don't (or can't) understand the difficulty of this, lay off the criticism. It's impossibly difficult to predict patterns and storm direction to the degree that you expect. A few years ago, they were unable to even predict hurricane preformation. Thousands of lives have been saved because of these models.

My backdoor is 10 foot from the water, I'm not all that interested in the math. Do I go or do I stay, if I head north will I be going into the hurricane or should I stay put. If they can't tell me that I wish they would lay off the constant newspaper and television coverage. THE CONE is doing me no good at all. It comes down to maybe yes, maybe no with all the math and science being equal to the magic 8 ball when it comes to making a decision.

Denver is quite nice this time of year, but Colorado Springs has a lot to offer. Like I mentioned to an online friend today: "You live in the hurricane state; gotta stay prepared, huh?" Her reply: "Grrrrr"

Feeling a little shell shocked, Dennis? Go mountain hiking, relax. :wink:

I'm just hoping the damn thing stays away from the Caymans. Leaving for the Aggressor on Friday. Selfish, I know and I am sorry. but....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom