Hurricane Evacuation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just heard where they are not allowing people to return to their homes in New Orleans. People need to get in quick, put that patch on the roof, cover the roof with a tarp and minimize the damage, pump out their boats etc. By not allowing people to return to their homes they are pretty much guaranteeing people will stay put next time.

A motel for a night won't break the bank for someone living paycheck to paycheck, three or four nights plus gas starts putting a hurt on the expenses for the month.

Stopping people from going home will cause a lot of stress to a large amount of people, not a good thing.

I believe its to allow time for the infrastructure people to clean roadways and restore power lines without having to watch out for people who could accidentally get in the way or killed by being in the wrong place wrong time.

Yup we saw it with Charlie. Power lines were activated and people didnt know they had hot lines. You also have missplaced wild life. Floating ant mounds gators and snakes. And in LA. the danger of your relatives floating back up to say hi.

Keeping them out while repairs are being made is a good idea. If they don't like the inconvenience then maybe they shouldn't live in hurricane country?

we've got a hurricane shelter here with 300 people in it from Lousiana... (all on cots in a gymnasium).

they brought up 200 of them on 5 buses from Louisiana, and the others came in cars.

The issue is that they won't let them leave the gym for any reason. They have the police out there and have deployed the local National Guard there for security. I don't know if they are using force to keep people there, but the media is reporting that security isn't allowing them to leave. So they are kept there and only getting bascially whatever food they are given and nothing to do but sit around.

one refugee said "it's like we're in prison".

I'm betting that because of this, these people also won't be evactuating next time either (unless it's real bad).

we've got a hurricane shelter here with 300 people in it from Lousiana... (all on cots in a gymnasium).

they brought up 200 of them on 5 buses from Louisiana, and the others came in cars.

The issue is that they won't let them leave the gym for any reason. They have the police out there and have deployed the local National Guard there for security. I don't know if they are using force to keep people there, but the media is reporting that security isn't allowing them to leave. So they are kept there and only getting bascially whatever food they are given and nothing to do but sit around.

I'm betting that because of this, these people also won't be evactuating next time either (unless it's real bad).

This is terrible. I cannot imagine any good reason to fhold people hostage which is exactly what this is. I can understand not allowing them home for time to repair the infrastructure safely and efficiently. But these people are already out of the area. What possible reason could exist to hold them hostage indefintely?

Just to revise this....this was not intended to appear as questioning you mike_s....just questioning in general.

Last edited:
I'm from New Orleans, and a Katrina transplant. When the evacuees left New Orleans and went to different cities, where they had to be for long term,.....some of these caused major problems in these cities.
I have great feelings for all people who have to leave their homes and are unable to return. I now totally understand why a city would have people not invade their space. And it seems, some people have no respect for the hospitality of others.

That's the government for ya, they treat some people like prison detainees, while they consider paying the hotel bills for others.

FEMA may cover hotel bills for some Gustav evacuees -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

What do they do when someone tries to leave, arrest them and confine them to the gym. Seems like pretty shaky legal ground, holding people against their will.

Having lived in Louisiana all my life and gone through Katrina, Rita, Lilly, Danny,Andrew, Gilbert,Juan, Danny,Camile, Betsy, Hilda,Carla and Audry just to name a few I would suggest that you make certain of the facts and the claims being made.....frustration (even though very justified on many fronts) often leads to exageration.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom