Raja Ampat- any big stuff?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
Is Raja Ampat only going to be big schools of small fish, tons of color but little big stuff?

I'm trying to go to Komodo but due to the season, I may not be able to get there. So, darn, I may have to go Raja Ampat as the boats all go there after mid October.

However, I'm trying to find the reality of it. In Raja Ampat, is it all small but lots of color or are there some big current spots thrown in here and there?

I'm interested in the big schools and color and far out critters but also access to big stuff and "fish soup" type places.

I'm really interested in Komodo but boats only appear available until mid October, then they switch to Raja Ampat. As I'm late to the party, this is making it very difficult to to find anything available which is far enough out to prepare to go.

When I was there we did a couple of dives with close to 30 Mantas. Didn't see many sharks unless you are talking wobegones and a few smaller sharks. Saw a big school of bumphead parrotfish. Schools of cudas and jacks. I liked it so much I'm going back. I've been to Komodo as well but I'll take Raja over Komodo.

Ditto on what ChinaCat said....I am a Palau type diver....I had dives at Kri and Sardines reef that blew me away (and the current almost did). I have never seen so many fish in my life that I saw on a few dives there. Not a lot of Sharks but everything else from big to small.

I have a trip report in this forum posted in January http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/indonesia/216604-raja-ampat-lembeh-straits.html .....I'm going back in 6 weeks!....if you have a chance do Lembeh!

Only a few of the in Raja will have big schools of fish (barracuda, trevally, snapper) But in reality this is not what Raja Empat is all about. It is about being one of the diverse places for marine animals left on this earth and is in close competition to Kimbe Bay in PNG (still finding new species in both places). There are not a lot of sharks left in Indonesia..........as well as a number of other great locations..........There are some far out critters in both locations Raja and Komodo but really tops the lot with the far out and weird critter.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom