Oriskany 9/6?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

delsol

Reaction score
North Mississippi, The Sahra Desert of Diving
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been booked on a trip to dive the "O" this Saturday(9/6) for a while now. I'm worried that because of the storm that the visibility will be greatly reduced. I'm thinking maybe I should just just cancel that trip and go to pelham instead. What do you guys think? I haven't convinced myself I want to cancel the boat ride just yet. Is it worth it to dive the gulf this weekend?

Not sure about what the viz will be there. I'm sure someone (Maybe Gary) will chime in soon.

What's your cancellation policy? 24 hours? 48 hours with no fees? Hopefully someone more knowledgeable with the O will respond.

If you do cancel and go to Pelham, find me and introduce yourself. :)

Michael

Who are You booked with? You should call them and see what they say.
I'd say it will still be a great dive and better than Pelham.

I just called Scuba Shack. they said no one had been out yet, so no one has any idea what things are like. With all the uncertanty I decided to cancel my trip. I'll take the money I save and put it toward a nitrox course, that way when I decide to reschedule I can enjoy it that much more.

Gary, Michael thanks for your replies.

Hey I'll be out on the Oriskany Saturday morning. As soon as I know I'll post an update. I don't really get to worried about the vis. There is so much little stuff to look at - Octopus, fish, spiney oysters, crabs, rooms to explore, etc. that even if the vis is only 30 feet it is a great dive. Yea, the 75 foot vis so you can see the whole big tower is great but even with low vis the pictures are good and the dive is fun - close up and personal.

Just my thoughts with over 100 dives on the Oriskany. But as originally stated I'll do a trip report Saturday afternoon after I know if my friend (read Octopus) are okay!

I would not consider diving the "O" without nitrox. You will get more bottom time for your money, which is what it's all about.

I would not consider diving the "O" without nitrox. You will get more bottom time for your money, which is what it's all about.

You won't get more than a couple minutes more time at those depths. A first dive to a maximum of 130ft (which is now 15ft or more above the flight deck, btw) would be 11min NDL on Air and 14min on EAN27. You would, of course, get a good improvement on a second dive, but you'd have to figure in the starting PG.

If you forget about the flight deck and plan a first dive to a max of 110' (allowing access to the Captain's Bridge, I think) then from Air to EAN32 you go from 16min to 25min. That's not too bad. Of course, the best way to improve your bottom time on a dive like that is to use a computer so you get all the credit you can for the time spent on the shallower parts of the structure.

-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom