Boracay in mid-september, how's the diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
hi,

i am finding myself in boracay in mid september this year. how's the diving? (Assuming no typhoon).

do i need a wetsuit?

recommendations?

thanks!
stephen

Victory or Calypso are great choices. A 3mm shorty is always a good choice for the Philippines. I wear shorts and Tee shirt most of the time....but that's just me.

Right now, the wind is amazingly slack. Freakishly so. Normally I would say most of the dives would be on the west side of the beach because of the winds but honestly, its been so calm they've been going out to crocodile and laurel lately. Today, it was calm as could be, then a massive downpour tonight. but no wind really, odd for this time of year.

The only thing that was really messed with from the typhoon were some larger close-in boulder coral groups and stuff in the channel (drift) but nothing severe.

If you're into UW photog, then Dive Gurus has some people that really take a keen tracking of the smaller and more rare of the wildlife. Their head chick there has an uncanny ability to find things no-one else sees. We hear people talk about so and so seeing sharks at Yapak but I dont know anyone thats personally seen one in several weeks. Either way, Yapak I is always a good deep dive (my 2nd favorite of all time). The Camia II 'wreck' hasent changed, still a decent light penetration w/o getting into specialties, didnt move much .

Victory Divers, be sure to call them first, they had a bunch of construction going on but im sure they're still diving. I didnt stop to check it out so I make no assumptions of its purpose.

Calypso, agreed with the others, they are still the premier top-notch dive facility here with the whole PADI 5-star resort rating and the National Geographic rating. They have a bunch of re breathers and their own confined pool...really nice place. Of course, they do come with a higher cost than others but if thats not a worry then you'll love it (not very much more at all). good people there and extremely professional. cant go wrong.

Personally, I'm finishing up my MSD specialty certs with Blue Mango then I'll be doing Tech I with them. Ive been here a little over a year and have mostly stuck to a single group so far. They opened 3 years ago and are now in the top 3 on Boracay. I rather prefer diving with them, but thats just me. (they're my personal recommendation for quality as well as price, that and they're just downright cool)

Theres tons of Korean dive shops if thats a language you prefer but also if you want a Japanese accommodating shop, theres SurfSide thats can cater easily for that language (as well as any one else). I know them pretty well, great guys! Again, cant go wrong and they usually schedule at least 4 dives daily so you have a wide choice.

Now, ....since I'm not affiliated with anyone I can get away with saying this next item (even if my dive shop friends all over dont like it), hehe. The typhoon wiped out over 60 boats. Many of them were diving boats. What this means is that those shops that lost their boats are having to rent others OR putting their divers on trips scheduled by other shops. The only reason - really, the only reason I mention this is not to denigrate a shop that lost its boat, but to let you know that it might give those shops less discretion sometimes in the dives they can do. So far, I have only seen this to be an issue for specialty dives like night time or for when a customer absolutely 'has to dive that spot on this day', but if everyone has customers and your shop only as 1 person diving, they may not rent a boat exclusively for your choice of location.

But then again, they just might! Just something to keep in mind.

Water: the same daily at 27 (at depth) to 29 C. I dont even own a wetsuit. Rash guard and board shorts are all I use.

Price: Of course, the uber mansion-nice places are going to be more expensive but the low-end of pricing is actually semi-regulated. I think 1,600 pesos (per dive if you need equip rental) is the best they can go unless you pre-pay for a specialty package, which many places have. In this way, you cant judge the low prices as having any relationship to quality. I'm sure I'm not saying that right but there are a lot of 1600 places that are seriously top-notch. (Mango included)

If you're looking for a dive buddy or any nightlife pointers, feel free to drop me a line, I'll be here on Boracay until past New Years most likely. Who knows, I might just stay for good.

Nice report. We'll be diving there the last week of September working our way down to Maniguin Island then off to Mararison to see babyD's dive sites.

thanks to everyone for all the great (and wonderfully detailed!) responses!

i'm visiting philippines to go to a wedding, and will be in boracay with my mom and sister for just 3 days (and travelling on two of them. yikes). so, i'm pretty open to diving anything. just thought it'd be a shame to be in the philippines and boracay and not get wet.

will plan on not bringing a wetsuit, since it seems warm enough to do it in just a swimsuit. maybe i'll pick up a long sleeve t-shirt or something while i'm there.

thanks again!
stephen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom