Red Sea in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sudiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi All.

I'm trying to schedule my trip and would like to know if anyone has experience diving the Red Sea in January. Should I postpone my trip to April? Am I missing out on things to see by going in January?

I have some flexibility, but need to make arrangements now if I do continue with the original, January plans.

Thanks,
Barbara

Hi THere.

Thanks for your response. I'm considering Sharm or Hurghada. Can't decide which, so any input there would be fantastic too! My husband isn't a diver, so I really want to steer clear of liveaboards.

Barbara

Well in April you might experience bad visibility especially in Hurghada during to plankton blooms and heavy surge. Since the majority of Hurghada dive sites are shallow, surge tends to stir sand. On the other hand, it's colder in January, especially when wind chill on the boat is involved.

If you want a much laid back place with excellent diving, try Dahab. However, the night life (and life in general) is much simpler than that in Sharm or Hurghada.

Thanks again, Asser. Is it possible to do a day trip to Dehab from Sharm? Or is that too far?

If you do a day trip from Sharm to Dahab, you have a range of mountains between them that would mean you would need to give at least 4 hours after diving before you return to Sharm

They are 620 metres high and as such could predispose you to DCS.

There are instructors here in Dahab (I live there too) that have had bends from returning from Sharm.

Hmmm. Belushi. Think it might be worth the DCS!

PS, LOVE the Belushi quote.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom