I'm addicted but non-divers don't care [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : I'm addicted but non-divers don't care

Sponsored Link

JoyfulLee
September 3rd, 2008, 02:51 PM
I'm addicted to diving. It's all I can think about when I'm not focused on tasks at hand. And I want to share my passion with others. Unfortunately, unless a person is a fellow diver they don't get it. And some fellow divers don't get it either unless they are truly hooked.

I'm taken aback by this and wonder how others have handled such encounters. Any tales or tips? Fun and sarcastic repartee welcome.

:scubadiver

300bar
September 3rd, 2008, 03:03 PM
Try showing a BIG stack of UW pic's to a (group of)non diver(s) :rofl3:
Just no way to get your feelings across.Just kick them into a diveshop,to do a intro dive.:D

Teamcasa
September 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Well we do! There are plenty of divers here to share your excitement with. You might check your local forum and see if you can meet and dive with others in your area. If not, start a club! Have fun and keep the enthusiasm level high!

JoyfulLee
September 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Try showing a BIG stack of UW pic's to a (group of)non diver(s) :rofl3:
Just no way to get your feelings across.Just kick them into a diveshop,to do a intro dive.:D
Thanks. I just had to share my frustration. I have a blog where I've captured what I've been experiencing on my dives. It's obvious people are being kind when they listen and view it. Guess it's almost analogous to sharing pictures of that cute baby or dog, ay? :-)

300bar
September 3rd, 2008, 03:10 PM
Guess it's almost analogous to sharing pictures of that cute baby or dog, ay? :-)

Yep you got the point.:D
They listen and smile,say ohh or ahh but they just DON'T get our feeling.:depressed:

Hey let them live in their world,so we can live in our's.:rofl4:

SelkieDVM
September 3rd, 2008, 03:12 PM
Those who have not experienced such an addiction will never understand. You need to attend meetings, this is a good place to start. Then you just get your compressed gas fix as often as possible. Their loss, the planet's surface is 70% water.

Starcruiser
September 3rd, 2008, 03:14 PM
I usually get the response of 'I've always thought that was so cool, but I'm afraid of (insert imaginary problem here). If someone asks, I'll show the pictures and that will get oohhss and ahhhhs. for a bit.
You're right, though. To really appreciate it they have to go there.....

sandmanz32
September 3rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
I'm addicted to diving. It's all I can think about when I'm not focused on tasks at hand. And I want to share my passion with others. Unfortunately, unless a person is a fellow diver they don't get it. And some fellow divers don't get it either unless they are truly hooked.

I'm taken aback by this and wonder how others have handled such encounters. Any tales or tips? Fun and sarcastic repartee welcome.

I definatly feel your pain. My current dive buddy got me into it, and now i wanna dive way more than he does. He doesn't seem to get it, niether does my gf for that matter. The non divers in our world will never understand what it is like. Im with those who say "just whip out the u/w pix", they do tend to get all the ohhhs and ahhs! hopefully this next season ill have a new regular dive buddy who doesnt constantly complain about having to go diving.

sixgears
September 3rd, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'm a newb and just got carded along with my wife :D. The first words out of my mom's mouth were "Aren't you scared?" My answer was, "Scared of what?" :lol: I told her to tell me what I should be scared of and I will consider being scared of it but until then ... watch out for my bubbles! ;)

scubadobadoo
September 3rd, 2008, 03:48 PM
I love to dive but I have to admit that after a few hundred dives in the north east it starts to get old and I was so addicted at one point that I NEVER thought I would say that it was getting old. Now, if diving consistently involved less drive time and work to get to the water for me, I probably wouldn't feel this way. Honestly though, if I dive at Dutch Springs ONE MORE TIME I will puke! At least the salt water still holds some passion for me here locally. I will also still dive any day say in Bonaire but my passion for cold water diving is starting to decrease. We all go through phases I guess.

I remember hearing a diver at Dutch Springs years ago suiting up in her dry suit talking about how it was starting to get old for her after 10 years. I thought she was INSANE at the time as I had about 35 dives myself and all I thought about was diving diving diving. Well, drink enough really good wine and the cheap stuff can start to taste well...cheap. And this is coming from a guy who has logged dives in mud puddles.;)

For some of you nuts though with 1000 dives and going, I say rock on my bubble blowing buddies!:D

ScubaSam
September 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
None of my friends or family dives so that is why I love SB. Only SB'ers understand the addiction.

I'm always being asked, "Aren't you afraid of the sharks?".
My reply is always "Nope, cause we're not on their menu."

Besides if EVERYONE loved scuba can you imagine the traffic jam underwater. It's better that they don't get it.

Scuba Ken
September 3rd, 2008, 04:04 PM
I've dove at Dutch Springs, I've seen traffic Jams underwater. :) I'm trying to Detox my addiction I'm down to 32% ox.

livewire
September 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
I think we need a 12-step program for scuba addiction:

1. Admit you have a problem and are powerless over your addiction.
2. Come to believe that a higher power will restore your sanity.
3. Oh, screw the rest of the steps, let's go get wet! :)

tomboyy
September 3rd, 2008, 04:39 PM
I keep my dive gear in my living room so I can look at it <--he says in his best Homer Simpson voice with a 1000 yard stare

DiverLS
September 3rd, 2008, 04:50 PM
I'm hooked too. I started to get a little bored (just a little) and I went out on a boat off Santa Barbara to the Channel Islands and a guy was on board with cameras we could take off and dive with. All we had to do was sign that we'd bring them back to the boat. He set up the cameras and pictures were beautiful. So I bought my own camera and haven't looked back. But it took me three years to take great pictures abain. Thanks Joe of Optiquatics, you got me hooked.

Now when I come back, all my co-workers want to see the pictures. It's gotten so bad we actually have a staff meeting so I can show off. :crafty:

But they give all the excuses too. No one gets it but that's ok. I like being with my buddy and no one else around.

spt29970
September 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm always being asked, "Aren't you afraid of the sharks?".
My reply is always "Nope, cause we're not on their menu."

My reply is that more people die each year EATING sharks than are EATEN by sharks.

Think about it. Apex predators are often not very good to eat; they bio-accumulate toxins. Sharks are filled with PCBs and mercury. Some people have allergic reactions and some simply choke on their "food".

Far_X
September 3rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I guess they think about scuba diving the way I think about knitting - I don't care how many different knitting strokes there, and how pretty it looks when finished, I just don't want to do it myself. :D Fortunately there are always enough scuba nuts to find in any scuba diving area. Join a club, start your own, and get really involved in persuading others to join and arranging all these different dives you can do. Good luck.

Dutch Springs: I guess if I had done more than a handful of dives at Dutch Springs I would think it felt old. It's a hell of a drive out there to dive in a quarry. Great place for training but that's about it. Thankfully we have interesting beach and boat dives on the longer island than Manhattan. ;)

Alex777
September 3rd, 2008, 08:14 PM
Whine, Whine, Whine! You guys think you have it tough, but try being an obsessed diver who lives on a Caribbean island. Very few Caribbean people dive (certainly, very few Caymanians) so, even though the reef is within spitting distance, no one in your social group may actually CARE! Of course, there is always the tourist community ...

Laustimus
September 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM
You come here and talk about it /thread :p ;)

300bar
September 3rd, 2008, 08:46 PM
Whine, Whine, Whine! You guys think you have it tough, but try being an obsessed diver who lives on a Caribbean island. Very few Caribbean people dive (certainly, very few Caymanians) so, even though the reef is within spitting distance, no one in your social group may actually CARE! Of course, there is always the tourist community ...

Not to push you,BUT.....

solo.?

Maybe it's not for you but it's an option.;)

1_T_Submariner
September 3rd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Just spend your spare time on scubaboard.

Scott M
September 3rd, 2008, 08:55 PM
I feel your pain. I tend to get ah...a little involved in anything I do. I have had the same problem many times but my friends understand it's just the way I am. Luckily many of our friends are divers also and most have significant others that are in the same line of work as my SO so it works out good when we get together, they talk shop we talk diving. Now when my daughter was playing competition softball that was another story, wanna hear about it?

highdesert
September 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
... unless a person is a fellow diver they don't get it. :scubadiver

I share your pain ... people will ask what it's like, you get this faraway look in your eys, start spacing out like you just saw the mothership land in front of your house, and you wax poetic about the wonders of the deep ...

Your friends look at you like you're losing it, give you a fake smile, say, " Oh, yeah, right ..." and sort of drift off. :shakehead:

When we have company over for dinner, I put in a CD of trip pics from someplace exotic, and let it cycle on the wide screen TV, while some nice background music plays. This is all off to the side of the social activity. A guest who wants to get taken in by the pictures will, and then you can answer their questions.

Alex777
September 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Actually, I enjoy diving with tourists here, including the odd SBer. Not that anyone on SB is "odd", of course ...

highdesert
September 3rd, 2008, 09:04 PM

... and what if all of those locals did dive??? What a zoo! That's like living here in the mountains, and being glad only a small percentage of the locals ski. Be happy! ;)

Alex777
September 3rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
... and what if all of those locals did dive??? What a zoo! That's like living here in the mountains, and being glad only a small percentage of the locals ski. Be happy! ;)

A very good point!

SkipperJohn
September 3rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
It's been 2 weeks since my last dive and 3 weeks since my first. I had no idea how addicting it would be. In the last 2 weeks I spent a small fortune on books and equipment. The other day I took my boat out for a short fishing trip and passed a group shore diving from a beach. I wanted to jump off and join them. I was watching them so intently that I almost hit a buoy. I look forward to my next dive like a kid looks forward to Christmas!

under water
September 3rd, 2008, 09:51 PM
I've been there..
We were invited to dinner only to hear about the hosts dive trips and look at their pictures.
Yep.. hmm interesting fish.. hmm.. yep another interesting fish.. Oh my, another interesting fish. Can you eat those? Say can I have more wine please..

Scuba just isn't something that normal people get into. It's like any other passion.. best shared with those who share it.
But when it gets hold of you it can be like a drug.. you can get a bit obsessive about it. I speak for myself of course.

And yes.. I am very glad that everyone doesn't dive. Every dive site would be like an amusement park if they did and there would be nothing but rocks and sand left.

scubadobadoo
September 3rd, 2008, 09:52 PM
It's been 2 weeks since my last dive and 3 weeks since my first. I had no idea how addicting it would be. In the last 2 weeks I spent a small fortune on books and equipment. The other day I took my boat out for a short fishing trip and passed a group shore diving from a beach. I wanted to jump off and join them. I was watching them so intently that I almost hit a buoy. I look forward to my next dive like a kid looks forward to Christmas!

Beach 8th?:D

scubalaux
September 3rd, 2008, 10:20 PM

I just recently got my OW card and I have been running into similar problems! After only being on a few dives, i find myself unable to talk about anything but. Unfortunately, the people I work with couldnt seem to care less! But I dont stop telling them how excited i am about my new BC or how stoked I am for the treasure dive next week. I think my diving boyfriend is even getting sick of hearing me! Just wanna express my love, ya know?! And MAYBE get some of my friends to get certified!!! ....If they only knew......

Fuzzmutton
September 4th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Sighhhhh....I have so been there in your shoes. I just hate seeing the eyes start to glaze over just when I have some poor person collared, unable to escape, and am regaling them with my latest underwater adventure:shakehead:

almitywife
September 4th, 2008, 01:08 AM

there are non divers in the world :shocked2:

or maybe its just, maybe i dont talk to non divers :dork2:

ScubaSteve2000
September 4th, 2008, 03:13 PM
The longer I'm a diver the more I find non-divers to be tedious and boring. When they ask some silly question I paraphrase the tag line from an old Jeep commercial; "It's a Diver thing. You wouldn't understand".

I stopped wasting my time "sharing" with non-divers. Got tired of the dazed cow look.

Steve.

300bar
September 4th, 2008, 03:33 PM

O BOY,an other human lost to the scubavirus.:rofl3:
D.I.P brother.:D

tomboyy
September 4th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Obsessed?...Hmmm paging thru the dictionary so I can make sure I'm spelling obsessed right "Pony" catches my eye.. I page back to see if it said "pony bottle"

Obsessed?... I'm selling my 4-wheeler so I can buy "something" Seriously, I'm like a kid with his 2 dollar allowance in his hand walking thru the K-mart looking for something to buy.:D

Scubadaddy
September 5th, 2008, 11:31 AM
With 11 dives logged I am just starting to realize how addicted I am. I feel your pain. Luckily I have some family members that dive too so I can usually muster up some dive conversations with them. Other than that I have to spend time on SB :), or online shopping for items to put on my wishlist.

JoyfulNoise
September 5th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I think it's not just diving that other people aren't interested in... it could be any passion or hobby or even job that you have that would "bore" others. People get more involved in conversation when common bonds are found. I love diving and want to talk about it all the time, I'm lucky I have a husband who happens to be my dive buddy ..he'll listen to me, bless him!

One way to help non-divers get more interested in to talk about the travel behind diving (example: I was just in Chuuk...or Belize, etc). People love to travel. I also have photos of cool stuff I see on dives in my purse. People enjoy looking at photos. I'd just keep talking about your passion and it just might rub off on your family and friends!

robint
September 5th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Time to get new friends. :D:D

okay, I know that is extreme, but trust me on this, it won't change. When hubby, daughter and I got certified back in 2000, we were instantly obsessed. We talked about it constantly at work, made everyone come over to our desks to look at pictures, etc. and drove people crazy. Pretty soon we realized that our old friends just weren't interested in our new adventures so we started making friends through our LDS. We even started hanging out at the LDS for hours every weekend to just talk to other divers! My husband soon decided he wanted to continue his education with PADI and daughter and I took some classes, too. Soon hubby was a DM working for the shop and we now had a whole new circle of friends and were able to go to the local dive spot with the LDS and dive with the group. (BTW, hubby is now an instructor and loving it.)

Now we have very few friends who are NOT "scuba addicts". Diving is still a huge part of our lives and our non-diving friends and family still don't get it.

ScubaSteve
September 5th, 2008, 01:02 PM
We care JoyfulLee. To overcome the diving obsession, I personally started into underwater photography and that did not help. If you imagine the obsession for divng as a fire.....well adding photography into the mix is like pouring aviation fuel onto the fire. WHOOPS!!!!! But even for an amateur, I love some of the shots I have taken and love looking back at them all to relive the dives. Welcome to the obsession club. Don't forget to learn the secret handshake.

tomboyy
September 5th, 2008, 01:11 PM
We care JoyfulLee. To overcome the diving obsession, I personally started into underwater photography and that did not help. If you imagine the obsession for divng as a fire.....well adding photography into the mix is like pouring aviation fuel onto the fire. WHOOPS!!!!! But even for an amateur, I love some of the shots I have taken and love looking back at them all to relive the dives. Welcome to the obsession club. Don't forget to learn the secret handshake.

Is this secret handshake you speak of agency specific:D

Scott M
September 5th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Is this secret handshake you speak of agency specific:DWell of course it is. Many feel the PADI shake to be inferior to the DI.......ah never mind. :popcorn:

300bar
September 5th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Time to get new friends. :D:D

okay, I know that is extreme, but trust me on this, it won't change. When hubby, daughter and I got certified back in 2000, we were instantly obsessed. We talked about it constantly at work, made everyone come over to our desks to look at pictures, etc. and drove people crazy. Pretty soon we realized that our old friends just weren't interested in our new adventures so we started making friends through our LDS. We even started hanging out at the LDS for hours every weekend to just talk to other divers! My husband soon decided he wanted to continue his education with PADI and daughter and I took some classes, too. Soon hubby was a DM working for the shop and we now had a whole new circle of friends and were able to go to the local dive spot with the LDS and dive with the group. (BTW, hubby is now an instructor and loving it.)

Now we have very few friends who are NOT "scuba addicts". Diving is still a huge part of our lives and our non-diving friends and family still don't get it.

Now that's OBSESSED.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Welcome to the brightside of life.:lotsalove:

300bar
September 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM

That's why it's secret.:rofl3:

ScubaSteve
September 5th, 2008, 01:21 PM

Actually it is one of the Specialty courses offered by PADI towards your AOW certification. :rofl3:

Sorry to all of PADI for that one but I just could not leave it open like that.

300bar
September 5th, 2008, 01:31 PM

You're forgiven,but only for this one and in this thread.:rofl3::rofl3::mooner:

tomboyy
September 5th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Actually it is one of the Specialty courses offered by PADI towards your AOW certification. :rofl3:

Is that coursed called "Underwater Communication: An Introduction":rofl3:

dwatts
September 5th, 2008, 03:04 PM
This weekend I’ll be completing my PADI “Diving Obsession” certification. The studying has been tough but I think it’s been worth it! :D

ScubaSteve
September 5th, 2008, 03:10 PM
This weekend I’ll be completing my PADI “Diving Obsession” certification. The studying has been tough but I think it’s been worth it! :D

Of course I agree that it will be worth it. All it took to hook me was a discover scuba in a pool where when I was kneeling my mask was almost out of the water and I signed up for OW on the spot. Good luck and dive safe.

White Knight
September 5th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Divers do it deeper!

divingdesigns.com
September 5th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Yep, I hear what you're selling. I'm addicted to. I really try to help others (non-divers) understand that diving will blow their mind and they don't know what their missing! I believe they can feel my passion, however they just don't get it. Sigh.....

robint
September 7th, 2008, 08:48 AM
now that's obsessed.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Welcome to the brightside of life.:lotsalove:

:d:d:d:d

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1