SPG's All The Same?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taat2d

Reaction score
I'm looking to switch out my Aeris 300G comp for a wrist mount. Probably a Suunto. But that's besides the point. The Aeris has the SPG built into the computer.

Can anyone tell me the differences in SPG's? Is there any? Can anyone recommend one over the other? What should I be looking for in an SPG?

Thanx in advance.
Joey

You'll get a lot of varied responses on this one, but I like to keep mine simple.

Heavy brass, analog, and in 100 PSI increments...something that can withstand a beating and isn't so complex that it's going to go *poof* at the most inopportune moment possible.

I have a Dive-Rite. Lots of people like the OMS. If this is the direction you decide to go (and this is only an opinion...there are lots of other choices), you can search on "brass SPG" in the archives and probably find a good chunk of info to look through...

hth,
kkm

Easy to read, uncluttered 100psi increments (guessing you're talking imperial here), brass and glass construction for durability.

OMS, Dive Rite and ScubaPro make nice ones. 2" or larger for readability.

Hey KKm,
What kind of money am I looking at for an OMS or Dive Rite? And also,:D I see you didn't read int the Dutch Springs Post... But I am the one owed the beer. LOL I beat you to the trolley. ROFLMAO:wink:

taat2d once bubbled...
Hey KKm,
What kind of money am I looking at for an OMS or Dive Rite? And also,:D I see you didn't read int the Dutch Springs Post... But I am the one owed the beer. LOL I beat you to the trolley. ROFLMAO:wink:

I paid LDS prices, so...<scratches his head and tries to remember>...maybe ~100 USD?

Depending on how you feel about online purchases, you can check out someplace like LP for a bit o' discount.

I *think* this is the OMS everyone likes...an OMS owner will need to verify.

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=957&parentCategory=954&sort=prsdesc

King Kong Matt once bubbled...
I *think* this is the OMS everyone likes...an OMS owner will need to verify.
Yup. Dive Rite have an almost identical one.

KKM
Does that OMS SPG come in a boot?

taat2d once bubbled...
KKM

Again, an OMS owner will need to verify, but the DiveRite did come in a boot...pop that thing off the second you get it. It's made of heavy duty brass and can protect itself.

I was taught and told that the best thing the plastic/rubber boot can do is conceal rust and potential cracks in the SPG. I do as I'm told...most of the time.

Yes it comes in a standard boot with a little clip holer at the top. I didn't use mine,had to say it, DIR standards. (Which make sense and not just a KoolAId following.) So if you get one that doesn't have the boot, you can have mine if you really want one. I use the OMS marked in 100 psi increments now. I switched it with the one that reads in 200 psi increments with color coding.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom