birthday Bali (or other) escape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have read some of the threads on Bali but haven't found what I am looking for quite yet.

Hubby has given me a holiday in Bali for my birthday, but left me with the leg work (bday in March travel in May/June)!

I have also looked at the Footprint book on Bali - I would not recommend this series...painful to try to get through and not very helpful at least to me.

Anyway, we want a nice (doesn't have to be 5*) hotel and a swim up bar. We want to dive a bit, but not all the time...really we want to laze around and spend our energy swimming up to the bar. We don't want to party all night, but we do want good food (which as I understand it means usually steering clear of the "luxury" restaurants anyway).

We are looking at Bali as it is fast (only a few hours from Perth) and nicely priced any other places we may have overlooked would be nice, too.

This is a total escapism holiday (about five days on the ground only) - any pointers would be most welcome. Thanks

Dear Alcina
There are a hundred hotels that fit your bill, but very very few are near to any diving. The best diving is on the north-east and north coasts of Bali which are 3-4 hours drive from the resort areas at Kuta, Sanur and Nusa Dua.
Personally I would head for Tulamben and stay at Mimpi Resort (www.mimpi.com) they don't have a swim-up bar, but the bar is only 6 steps from the small pool. The diving is on the hotels doorstep from the shore at a WWII shipwreck and a reef wall, with short out-rigger boat trips to even better walls and reefs.
Alternatively stay at Candi Dasa, which has a greater choice of hotels, (try Candi Beach Cottage (http://www.candibeachbali.com/) or Rama Candi Dasa
(http://www.ebalihotels.com/ramacandidasahotel.html) is only 50 minutes by car to Tulamben (or Amed, another dive-site) plus there are some great dives offshore from Candi Dasa by boat.
There is also Nusa Lembongan an island offshore from Bali (one hour by luxury ferry) that has some of Bali's best diving and a beautiful mini resort owned by West Austalians (Hai Tide Huts), see (www.balihaicruises.com) this would be an excellent choice for a birthday, I did it last May for mine! There is no swim-up bar, but the staff do bring your drinks to the pool, which has an island in the middle. Not a lot to do but relax in a very unspoilt part of Bali. Whatever you do you thoroughly enjoy Bali and its people.
Regards - Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom