Egyptair Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

likelite

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks, going with the LDS to dive with Emperor Divers Sept. 22 - Oct. 30. Have been digging around looking for answers on various things, just the usual stuff:

* I hear there's no in-seat entertainment in Economy on the long haul from JFK-CAI...but maybe some movie screens up overhead. Am thinking about bringing a lappie crammed with movies, BUT:

* There's no information on Egyptair.com as to carry-on policies. I know I'm limited to 2 pc. checked baggage totaling 50 lbs each (thank God I don't have to carry a 3 mil), but - seriously - there's nothing online about carryons.

I called Egyptair earlier today and was told I can bring on one piece weighing 15 pounds and an extra personal item, "like a handbag." How big can this handbag be? How heavy? The CS agent seemed extremely rushed for time and I couldn't get him to commit to a firm size or weight.

Anybody got recent experience, as in the last three months, with this? I'm a bit worried given airline crackdowns on weight lately.

(Yes, I will be wearing my HUGE, and very ugly, fisherman's vest...who cares how it looks! I can get an entire junk-drawer's worth of stuff into the pockets :cool2:)

I flew Egypt Air about a month ago.

There were overhead movie screens.

My carry on comprised a Lowepro Vertex 300AW and a Lowepro Nova 180. They were never weighed, but together were about 17 Kg. I know the ruling is 7 Kg.

Lowepro - Nova 180 AW

Lowepro - Vertex 300 AW

On another note they managed to lose my checked in luggage in Cairo but that was probably because it was checked in through to Sharm when you should clear customs in Cairo. Got it back the day before we left !

HTH

And no real beer.

/c

Depends,if they carry the local Stella and serve it very cold,you can live with it.:D
It won't get you drunk very fast:no:,only 2-3% alc.:shocked2:

It was a few years ago since I went with EA, but then they didn't even carry Stella (they were a 'dry' airline - 0% alcohol). Only served alcohol-free beer that left a little to be desired. And I'm not talking about the alcohol... Perhaps things have changed?

cheers

No change,that stuff sucks.:D

Yes, still no booze on board. I just bought some stuff - whiskey - at the duty free and used their mixers......

My carry on comprised a Lowepro Vertex 300AW and a Lowepro Nova 180. They were never weighed, but together were about 17 Kg. I know the ruling is 7 Kg.

Lowepro - Nova 180 AW

Lowepro - Vertex 300 AW

On another note they managed to lose my checked in luggage in Cairo but that was probably because it was checked in through to Sharm when you should clear customs in Cairo. Got it back the day before we left !

Is it spotty enforcement? I've had horrible experiences with the likes of Qantas and British Airways - sometimes they don't check, but if they do you have to throw away stuff right on the spot.

On the lost bags - thanks for the reminder to make sure my trip insurance is topped up!! Anyone know if DiveAssure covers gear rental? :)

Flew with them a month ago as well. I took 12kg in one carry on. They function like any other airline in checking the weight of this. They would probably make you check it if it was too heavy. You see a few more broken seats etc than on other airlines, however they flew on time. That was a new experience! :)

Last time I flew Egyptair was Cairo - London - Cairo about 6 months ago. Dry airline - no alcohol - but seating very comfortable. I also understand they are generous with baggage allowance but you should check this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom