Sharks in Marsa Alam or other place in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mesje

Registered
Reaction score
I am a beginner diver and would like to dive with sharks in Egypt. Since I have heard that most of the shark spots are for advanced divers, I would like to know, whether is in Egypt some place with big probability of sharks, which isnt so difficult. I have heard that the Elphinstone Reef near Marsa Alam is good for sharks, but isnt suitable for beginners. Please help me - isnt in Marsa Alam (or elsewhere in Egypt) other good shark spot which is better for beginners ?

I'm afraid there isn't any good shark spots for beginners in Egypt (or else in the Red Sea), at least not that I am aware of. You can of course see a white tip reef shark on most reefs, but the 'real' sharks preffer proximity to deep water and strong currents. They also tend to move away from busy areas, which means that the best shark spots generally are on the most isolated reefs, far out to sea. Elphinstone is a reef where you have a good chance of seing sharks, but as you point out, not suitable for beginners. Other spots are Deadalus Reef, Brother Islands, Strait of Tiran, Rocky Island/Zabargad... None of them suitable for beginners. OTH, you don't need to be an expert diver, but you shoould at least be able to handle yourself, even in currents. The local authorities demand minimum AOW certification and 50 logged dives for most of the good shark sites. I think it is reasonable. For really easy shark diving, visit Stuart Coves in the Bahamas.

Good luck

Sharks or not, the read sea kicks ass. I need to get back there asap :p

When I was there last week the stupid turtle had to swim just ahead of the boat when I got up just to taunt me. Gah!

as you can see in the attatched link, our group, most notably myself, had terrific encounters with oceanic whitetips @ elphinstone and daedulus reefs this past july(MV hurricane, "simply the best" itinerary). threshers and scalloped hammerheads were also observed @ big brother and daedulus, along with grey reef sharks@ little brother. a few challenging dives @big brother(ripping current) otherwise relatively benign conditons,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Digital Immersions: Yum Yum Yellow

reefman(phil)
key largo

as you can see in the attatched link, our group, most notably myself, had terrific encounters with oceanic whitetips @ elphinstone and daedulus reefs this past july(MV hurricane, "simply the best" itinerary). threshers and scalloped hammerheads were also observed @ big brother and daedulus, along with grey reef sharks@ little brother. a few challenging dives @big brother(ripping current) otherwise relatively benign conditons,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Digital Immersions: Yum Yum Yellow

reefman(phil)
key largo

Conditions on Elphinstone and Dedalus can change very fast. From easy to dangerous. That's a major reason why a rule of minimum AOW and 50 logged dives to visit them was put up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom