What do you use for a backup bottom timer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Artimas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have been using my watch as a backup bottom timer, but was wondering what others do? Is there a better option? Does anyone use a dedicated bottom timer?

The popular Uwatec costs almost as much as a basic entry level computer, does less, and you can't change the batteries, so why buy one? It makes more sense to get a cheap backup computer, especially if you can find one with gauge mode.

Thoughts?

My bottom timer(s)...

RollCall2.jpg

I use an Oceanic VT3 computer and a backup mini SPG. However, I assume you are looking at a redundant computer gauge with time, spg, and depth.

My dive is over if the computer goes awry. However, I use charts as well so I may not be concerned.

:cool2:

I use a Veo-100, it has a gauge mode, and my daughter can use it when we dive together.

The Uwatec bottom timer is a great piece of gear. Nothing to leak and the batteries last forever (10 years ??)

Agree that for most divers a cheap air computer probably makes more sense. Many computers have a "stealth gauge mode" If you bend it then it reverts to gauge mode. Can be useful if diving nitrox or stage deco on an air computer (but you had better know what you are doing !!)

Citizen aqualand, keeps the max depth, time and temp for the dives.

Thanks for the replies!

Are you afrasid of something happening to your watch UW??.....

I just use a watch, although in reality the major function it serves is telling me the time during SIs and at the beginning/end of dives.

The one feature I wish the Uwatec BT had was a simple clock, but I imagine that would halve the battery life.

Back
Top Bottom