Why train as a DiveMaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Taylor

Crusty old diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering taking the DiveMaster training. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. What should I expect? Is the primary focus of the DiveMaster course, the training of students? Learning new skills? Learning boat activity management? Employment? What are the employment opportunitys for a divemaster? What is the typical pay rate?

:scubahelmet:

Pay rate? Do you like to work for tips?

I have four other income sources that more than pay my bills so income is not my purpose. My purpose is that I feel I have something to offer beginners. I did notice in some ads that the scuba "Instructor" makes about 25k per year. I am sure there are variations to that figure depending on personal situations. What I am deriving from your reply is that one typically does not sell "DiveMaster" services.

I am considering taking the DiveMaster training. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcomed. What should I expect? Is the primary focus of the DiveMaster course, the training of students?

Yes. Nearly all the divemaster course and especially the practical course is gearing the person to assist in teaching courses or acting as a supervisor role for lesser experienced divers.
There is very little in the course itself about improving and expanding your own personal dive skills - its all about getting the 22 or so skills from the core courses to demo quality and looking out for others.

What are the employment opportunitys for a divemaster? What is the typical pay rate?

Employment may depend where. In lots of places DMs wont get paid or employed (its freelance). "pay" will be usually just free fills or free boat trips as opposed to a salary. In lots of busy places in the world it'll be at or below minimum wage for 12hr days, 7 days a week. Most people do DM as its a step towards instructor only.

My view, if you want to go about teaching people to dive, go for DM. If you want to improve your own skillset and knowledge, do something like a advanced nitrox course, gue course and so on instead.

I don't see the point of anyone doing DM if they dont want to assist or become an instructor.

(Note this is PADI, other agencies may differ).

The pupose of the dive master is to supply dive shops with a supply of willing and motivated zero pay laborers to take all the risk exposure and run the cash treadmill and do all of the heavy lifiting, sweep the shop, wash the boat down, clean up the puke etc.

N

DM- Dive Mule as we refer to it. When I worked with an instructor, it was lump tanks, watch students, set up his gear, lump it to the water (he weighed 427 pounds, so you can imagine the lead needed....) All this, and I was offered free fills. I personally do plan on becoming an instructor, but I am already a music teacher, so obviously, I love to teach.
Nowdays, I work on a boat in NC. Being a DM teaches nothing about boat management, but it does put you through some skills you will need. Guided dives for new divers, looking over divers to see what skill levels they are- cards mean nothing IMHO. Diving off a perfectly good boat in 6 ft seas because you get to swim after someone that missed the lines. Helping sooth nerves for someone's first ocean dives. A lot of these are basic rescue skills, the pro rating is required for insurance purposes. As for the other fun things I get to do, that weren't taught in DM, helping a diver set up their gear or put them in a wetsuit because they are seasick. Climbing into the engine compartment because we are 30 miles to sea and lost a clamp on the port side engine. Insanely hanging off the wheelhouse with 150 pounds of gear on, anchor in one hand, and having my heart in my chest as I hear the "GO!!!!" to plunge 120 ft, hoping to find the wreck, find a good spot on it that we can hook, and then try to destress on the dive.....
What do I get for all this? Well, my fills are free, my boat rides are free, I get lunch, and a place to stay. Then, if I am lucky, I get tips. Its amazing though, people tip 15% for a bad dinner, and $20 for a 3 days of diving (not even 5%). Still, to me it is worth it, but, as it states you are 55, you might think about not working on a boat. That is not to be mean, as one of the best DMs I have know was 64. What it is though, is people's safe return to the boat on a bad day (pretty, flat, clear days rarely have that type of problem) may be dependent on your swimming 400 yds or more to catch a panicked diver, then helping to pull them back aboard to help with O2 or CPR or anything else. That can cause a lot of strain.
As for things like discover local diving, etc, that can be very rewarding. When I am playing at a quarry and see someone with 'the look of scary green water- I know it, I had on my first dive after OW)' , I truly enjoy talking to them, being part of their buddy team, whatever. But then, I only go to pay quarries for fun, usually with some other DMs. Any of the limited access ones are where I am looking for stuff for my own purposes. Sorry to go on so much, I just thought you might like to hear from a working DM.
-J

The pupose of the dive master is to supply dive shops with a supply of willing and motivated zero pay laborers to take all the risk exposure and run the cash treadmill and do all of the heavy lifiting, sweep the shop, wash the boat down, clean up the puke etc.

N

Great reply. Precisely what my negative side was thinking. All that aside, I do feel I have significant knowledge and skills to offer. I will likely give it a whirl, but only for the purpose of helping others in a position I was once in. Thankyou for your perspective.

I don't see the point of anyone doing DM if they dont want to assist or become an instructor.

They do say that the best proof that you know/understand something is if you can teach it.

That said, it's an interesting topic. I always assumed I'd do my Rescue and then do my DM but my interest is primarily in safety and becoming a better diver so perhaps that's not the optimum route to my goal

They do say that the best proof that you know/understand something is if you can teach it.

Possibly but the teaching is a narrow range of skillsets as opposed to broad diving. DM teaches you how to teach mainly.

I had felt the same way. My LDS is constantly trying to get me to do the DM/DiveCon course. But honestly, I have no intention of teaching, have no desire to be a dive mule, and lastly, just don't think it is worth the almost $2k it would cost me to do the course.

...That said, it's an interesting topic. I always assumed I'd do my Rescue and then do my DM but my interest is primarily in safety and becoming a better diver so perhaps that's not the optimum route to my goal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom