Point Honda wrecks, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
There was an incident in 1923 that resulted in the loss of 7 Navy destroyers at Point Pedernales (also known as Point Honda) California. I never seem to see any discussion of these wrecks here. Are the California divers not diving this site?

As I understand it the conditions are not often suitable for diving but its supposed to be fabulous when they are.

Anyone done these?

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/events/ev-1920s/ev-1923/honda-8.htm

WW

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Given that the depths for the wrecks range from 0-40', there's probably not much left.

No, they're not intact of course but the debris fields should be massive (not to mention filled with cool arties....)

I know people were diving them 10 years ago or so.

WW

if there are any restrictions on the area -- isn't it close to Vanderburg?

there is no public beach access to these wrecks since the beach access is owned by ME, your local US tax payer. And of course for some reason the caretaker, oh what a oxy moron this will be, is the USAF. Yep the beach access is part of the Vandenberg Air Force Base. I got a look see when my sis was stationed there a decade or two ago. Got to walk around SLC-6 (slick six, which was intended to launch the Space Shuttle - it has been torn down and rebuilt for Delta III and IV style satellite launches.

As for Honda you can get a good look from the bluffs around the area. Before airplanes were running into high rise buildings you could get limited access to them from the ocean, say Santa Barbara for big boats, if there was going to be a luanch you would get run off. As for collecting brass... well you will have to talk to the rapers and pillagers at the previously mentioned California Wreck Divers site. The Navy still considers those wrecks theirs and the local military takes pride in taking away any brass that divers may bring up. That does not mean that some of the "historical preservationists" have not been able to obtain some of the brass.

There are quite a few books about the disaster and the proceeding from the trial of one of the captins that did not follow orders.

By the way the flowers in Lompoc, Vandenberg's city neighbor, are in bloom and quite wonderful to see. You have heard about the corn fields in the mid west - Lompoc is known for their flower fields.

je

jengineer once bubbled...
The Navy still considers those wrecks theirs and the local military takes pride in taking away any brass that divers may bring up. That does not mean that some of the "historical preservationists" have not been able to obtain some of the brass.
The interesting thing is that the Navy sold all of these vessels to a mister Robert J. Smith of Oakland, California, back in 1925. There is no record of the Navy buying them back. If the brass was THAT important to you, you may have a case to build on.

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV, I'm just sayin'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom