Buying used??!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jurichar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all!!!

I just registered here, been reading for a little while and decided to finally take the plunge and join up.

Anway, i got certified about 2 months ago and have logged about 10 dives since then and i LOVE it.

Right now, im using rental gear except the basic stuff. After my last charter trip which went to 100 ft that i need 2 things to make my diving much more enjoyable. 1) a dive computer and 2) nitrox. So i got the nitrox cert this morning!!! now i just need the computer!!

I've been doing TONNS of research and discussing with my dive instructors and i basically have it narrowed down to either the GEO or the Atom. I like the atom because it affords me alot more room to grow. I am doing this on a budget and i dont want to go to crazy considering this will be the only piece of major equip i actually own.

Anway, i've found a computer for sale on here used (atom 1.0) with about 120 dives on it for a reasonable price. What is everyone opinon on going the used route? do these type of units have a usable life? or am i better to have one thats been used a few times and know its not gonna fail on me?

Thanks again for any/all help and this site is awesome!

I would not "go used" on a dive computer with 120 dives. No way! I had a Cobra that just died, with only 89 dives on it - 50 of which were within the first month, and it was very well taken care of. No way would I want to get one with so many dives. Additionally, I would not buy used unless I could inspect it in person first (or have a trusted person do it for me). No e-bay specials and what not.

FWIW, I just bought a used Vytec with a couple of dives on it. I had someone I trust inspect it for me first. It needs batteries, but hopefully it will all work out well :)

Used? Not on life support equipment. Also warranties are not transferrable. You are better off investing in one new quality piece of gear at a time, something that will last you and you feel comfortable trusting your life with. I have purchased a few used things or new on-line (likke hoods, gloves, wetsuits, knife, etc) but never my life support gear - BC, regs, or computer. All those came from trusted dealers who I had built relationships with and where fair on their pricing. And I have always kept them serviced by techs certified for that brand of gear.
Just my $0.02.

My $68 used Oceanic Data Plus has well over 100 additional dives on it and still going strong. Because of the marketing shenanigans so many of the scuba manufacturers are pulling, used gear is a great value if you know what you are doing.

If you can see the computer before making the decision, and ensure that it's in good shape, I'd be fine buying used - 90% of my gear is pre-owned.

Whether new or used, the important thing is to make sure the computer does what you need - that means more than just comparing the bullet points on the features list, you also want to know how easy it is to access certain features, whether it presents the information you need in a useful way, whether it locks you out if you bend it, etc.

jurichar:
Anway, i've found a computer for sale on here used (atom 1.0) with about 120 dives on it for a reasonable price.
If you can see the computer before making the decision, and ensure that it's in good shape, I'd be fine buying used - 90% of my gear is pre-owned.
I have purchased a bit of used SCUBA gear on eBay (BP, wings, lights, wetsuit). In fact I purchased a Nitek He computer on eBay that was exactly as described, still functions well after a 100 additional dives, and cost less than 30% of original MSRP. I bought the transmitter for a VYtec on eBay. No problems.
Whether new or used, the important thing is to make sure the computer does what you need - that means more than just comparing the bullet points on the features list, you also want to know how easy it is to access certain features, whether it presents the information you need in a useful way, whether it locks you out if you bend it, etc.
Excellent advice. If you are convinced, after reading actual user reports and not just magazine reviews, that the Atom (1.0) is the computer for you, then seriously consider the used unit. It is not one of the more frequently encountered units, but it is a wrist computer, nitrox capable, air-integrated, etc. Meets most of the usual recommended criteria. You use the term 'reasonable price'. That should be less than 50% of the best on-line price for a new one.

Last edited:
I've bought two used computers and never had any problems with them.

As long as you're buying from a responsible seller and trust them, it should be ok just like buying a used anything....

Call the manucturer to find out what the flate rate rebuild cost for that model is should it die. This will be your maximum exposure for going used/sans warranty. If the deal still is a good risk/reward then consider getting it.

At 10 dives I have to wonder what you are doing at 100 feet and the extent to which this will improve your diving compared to getting into things like a BC and regulator set.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom