Snorkeling in Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm writting this on behalf of my parents. They will be in Maui and want to do some snorkeling. I told them that they should definately do Molokini. The are staying in Kaanapali and I'm having a hard time finding any snorkeling operators that leave Kaanapali and go to Molokini. Does anyone know of any snorkeling operators in Kaanapali that go to Molokini? If not, what are some other good operators in the Kaanapali area? Thanks.

Duane

We went snorkeling on the Whale Watchers Society boat (atleast I think that was the name). The boat was nice and comfortable. They were very good and treated everybody very good. We did go to Molokini but it was real choppy so they took us to a couple of other sites. I would recommend them.:)

I don't think anyone goes from Kaanapali to Molokini, but Lahaina Divers does go out of downtown Lahaina, just a couple of miles south from Kaanapali. They are located next door to the Whale Watching Society on Dickenson St. It's about an hour boat ride down, but it will save you about a 30 or so drive. I don't know what they charge for snorkelers, but we had some on my last trip.

Will your folks consider only guided trips that originate from up in West maui? My wife and I just got back from staying in the Wailea area of Maui, and the snorkeling was excellent right off the beach where the Maui Prince is: there is a coral mound off shore where many snorkel boats dump their customers off to see the "turtle town", but you can just paddle out there and see it yourself. I snorkeled all along the coast from the Maui Prince down to Little beach, and thought that there was plenty to see.

Our favorite was doing a sea kayak charter that left from Ahihi bay and takes you to Perouse Bay. These kayak guided trips drop you off in very nice snorkel areas such as the "fishbowl". As a bonus, we got to see whales while quietly drifting out from land a bit: You can hear a lot more that way, and appreciate the size of the humpbacks.

If your folks have a car, it is no big deal to drive down to South Maui and save themselves a bumpy boat ride.

If your folks are staying in Ka'anapali, the common snorkeling spot is at Black Rock which is easily accessible from the Sheraton.

Molokini is certainly a wonderful experience, and there are many tours operators leaving from Lahaina (closest to Ka'anapali) , Ma'alea or Kihei (furthest) --
I would suggest that the choose something leaving out of Ma'alea -- the boat trip to Molokini is hortest from Kihei, and longest from Lahaina -- So, be selecting Ma'alea they can compromise and drive a little further (it's a beautiful drive) and have a more moderate boat ride.

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom