Atom 1.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jurichar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm doing some shopping for computers and tenatively decided on getting the atom 1.0. It has a nice mix of features and cost savings that works out for my needs and budget. I figured i would send and e-mail to leisure pro to see if they would still honor the $449 price they had last month, and the guy there sent me a responce saying he wouldnt get the atom 1.0 because it is a "problem computer" and they get quite a few returns. He gave me a discounted price on the 2.0 complete kit (about $625).

Is this true? is this known as a "problem computer" or is he trying to get some more $$ from me????

Help out a newbie!!! :wink:

Dont mean to hijack your thread, but ive placed an order for the atom 1.0 also from LP. Ive taken my chances, i have read that some people have faced problems with the atom but others find it perfect. So i guess its pure luck. Other say that the older models were the problematic and i think they (atom 1) come with a newer firmware that should be less problematic.

Im not sure though, lets just hope the problems have been fixed. Atom 2.0 is basically the 1.0, from what i read, with the Pressure on the main screen and buddy check. If you dont want to click a button to check ur pressure or want the buddy check feature, then i guess that price is worth it.

I had a Atom 1.0 I bought used. I used it for a backup on 2 dives and it needed a new battery. I had heard about problems with batteries in the Atom 1.0 and so I contacted Oceanic for service. To have the Atom 1.0 serviced would have cost $150. Oceanic offered to upgrade me to the Atom 2.0 computer with a new warranty for the same amount $150. Since they both use the same transmitter and download cable I only had to sent them my computer with RMA paperwork $150 and a check for $10 shipping and handling.
So if the Atom 1.0 suits your needs for $449 it is no risk since the upgrade would bring you to $610. If you should need to upgrade don't forget the 2 computers use different software which you can download free from Oceanic's website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom