Have you dove the Andrea Doria?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't. :)

But, I just recently finished Fatal Depth and re-read Deep Descent like many people on this board. A lot of us know the lore and the stories surrounding the grand dame of ocean liners, but have any of us actually dove on the wreck?

Care to share your story?

If you haven't dove the wreck but are planning to dive her, maybe you could share your plans about that as well.

King Kong Matt once bubbled...
I haven't. :)

But, I just recently finished Fatal Depth and re-read Deep Descent like many people on this board. A lot of us know the lore and the stories surrounding the grand dame of ocean liners, but have any of us actually dove on the wreck?

Care to share your story?

If you haven't dove the wreck but are planning to dive her, maybe you could share your plans about that as well.

Been there on two seperate occasions -- last time in July 2002. Can't pretend to be much of an authority on her but it's a fun dive... just a hell of a long way from land... toughest part is the trip out and back. And she is starting to show signs of age.

PM me if you want any details about gases and charters

DD

Doppler once bubbled...
Been there on two seperate occasions

That's very cool.

I was just interested in what a Doria trip is like. Again, the same laundry list of books that everyone has read only focuses on the tragedy, but doesn't really seem to highlight what a *good* and *peaceful* trip is like.

Did you penetrate the boat? What's it like? Scary? I'm scared just thinking about it...

Yea Doppler,
How about an 'in depth' story of your dive, the Doria, what she is like, etc. Thats my dream dive in the future...

Not sure when, but it will happen.

O-ring once bubbled...

That's the same thing I've been saying!

I actually got invited to join in on an Empress of Ireland trip last weekend. After I finished laughing I explained that it was probably a bit early. But talk about a tempting offer! :)

O-ring once bubbled...

I was on a boat two weeks ago doing some wreck diving up here and during the interval, I was talking with one of the other divers on the charter. He says he was on the Doria a couple of times (based on the kinds of things he was saying, I have no reason to doubt he was telling the truth).

Anyway, long story short, is that he said the wreck is REALLY falling apart fast.

Anyway, long story short, is that he said the wreck is REALLY falling apart fast.
Some of the guys we dive with dove the Doria in 2001, but they said it had some good years left. Regardless of the state of the wreck, I don't want to push myself. Getting up to NY/NJ a couple times this year is my goal (San Diego and a couple other wrecks) along with some of the deeper stuff we are doing out of Hatteras and VA Beach.

One of these days... :)

King Kong Matt once bubbled...

I've heard the same thing. However I've also heard the point of view that after the storm that shreds her passes; there will be a whole new china rush for months...

I've adjusted my 'goal' to be a little less time critical... the doria, or something of that caliber...

(in Homer voice..)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom