What land nature area is easiest to visit from Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm trying to find Borneo quality nature viewing without going to Borneo.

I'm going on a liveaboard from Bali, and want to get in jungle/rainforest animal viewing afterwards. However, you must go back to Singapore or Kuala Lumpur to go out to Borneo. So, due to flight timings and reliability, it's a 2 day operation to get from Bali to Borneo, and longer if you need to go further in.

So your 5 day visit nets about a day and half on the ground in Borneo.

Trying to find somewhere to go which is easier to get to from Bali. Suggestions?

Shasta,
If you’re looking for orang utan at their habitat – no choice you have to travel to Sumatra or Kalimantan / Borneo.
However, there’s 50 National park in Indonesia, pls check at
45 Taman Nasional di Indonesia
Unfortunately in Bahasa, but just click any locations not far from Bali – and look at the pictures and list of species (printed in italic); then if you’re interested; let me know, I can summarize the location for you or you can google for more info.
The closest one is West bali National park, where you may find the rare Bali starling, deers, skunk and other small animals. The menjangan island dive site is located inside the park. At least there’s 2 luxury resorts there, Menjangan jungle beach resort (MJBR) and Wakashorea.
While in Bali you can try to climb mountain Agung; not very difficult but you’ll need a guide.
Ujung Kulon National Parks can be reached 4 hours from Jakarta, dozens flight a day from Bali to Jakarta. No resort in the park but you can stay at ranger hut. If you lucky you will see very rare Java rhino and buffalo – boss sondaica. There’s several nice dive site in Ujung Kulon and Krakatau islands.
There’s few more in Java and lombok; not too difficult to reach. Mount Rinjani in lombok is the third tallest mountain in Indonesia with very beautiful scenery.
Way Kambas in Lampung Sumatra is also within day traveling time.

Cheers

Many thanks Wisnu. Ah, so that's where Brunei is.

I found that Sumatra is also accessible but also a two leg hop from Bali. However, I found some rainforest in Bali to see so we'll see how that works out.

You could try Ujung Kulong in West Java, and also combine it with a trip to Krakatau. But be prepared: it will probably take longer to get there than flying to Borneo !

Back
Top Bottom