Too old and soft for a Blackbeard trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ron G.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm thinking seriously about going on .a Blackbeard trip in November. or December.

I'm wondering, though, if it might be just too spartan for me. I saw someone's photos and their boat looked very uncomfortable. I wasn't surprised to see the cramped sleeping quarters. I was surprised to see the deck of the boat had no awning, and only very simple, straight-backed seating.

I think I'd like the frequent dives, but I'd want to be able to hang out somewhere where I could relax, read, etc., other than my tiny bunk.

Also, the photos I saw showed participants much younger than my 59 years.

I'm going to Coz in October (Cozumel Scuba Club) and I'm really looking forward to that. I've been to Bonaire (Capt. Don's) and really liked that. Thought it would be fun (and cheap) to join the ST group, but it may be just too rough....

I've read good things about Nekton cruises, but was hoping to spend less money per trip, so I could do more trips per year. I just don't know how you can beat Blackbeard, given the cost of their trip, combined with the relatively low airfare (from Baltimore) to Freeport.

Any thoughts?

Ron

I'm thinking seriously about going on .a Blackbeard trip in November. or December.

I'm wondering, though, if it might be just too spartan for me. I saw someone's photos and their boat looked very uncomfortable. I wasn't surprised to see the cramped sleeping quarters. I was surprised to see the deck of the boat had no awning, and only very simple, straight-backed seating.

I think I'd like the frequent dives, but I'd want to be able to hang out somewhere where I could relax, read, etc., other than my tiny bunk.

I'm going to Coz in October (Cozumel Scuba Club) and I'm really looking forward to that. I've been to Bonaire (Capt. Don's) and really liked that. Thought it would be fun (and cheap) to join the ST group, but it may be just too rough....

I've read good things about Nekton cruises, but was hoping to spend less money per trip, so I could do more trips per year. I just don't know how you can beat Blackbeard, given the cost of their trip, combined with the relatively low airfare (from Baltimore) to Freeport.

Any thoughts?

Ron

The fact there's no nitrox would rule it out for me. Check out the Juliet, it's a little more money but a lot more comfortable.

How do you look drunk and naked?

Me neither.

I'm 57, and this past July I went on the Aqua Cat. There were people of all ages there. We enjoyed 5 dives a day, gourmet food, pampering by the staff, and snacks and beverages (of all kinds) whenever we desired. They had a top deck for sitting out in the sun if one desires, a shady area if you wanted to be outside but out of the sun, and a nice inside area where you could lounge around, watch videos, or read. It's a great boat, with a great crew, and fantastic diving.

Thanks for the responses.

There were two comments that really jumped out at me.

The first was in a very helpful PM. The conclusion of the PM was something like, "I think of Blackbeard cruises as being for the young and poor....I'm not either." Well, you know what? I'm also neither young, nor poor, which pushed me hard toward something a step up from BB. (Nekton may be it.)

The second was Doc's rhetorical question, "how do you look drunk and naked?" I gotta admit that that may be the first time I have actually recoiled from a post on SB. If "drunk and naked" even comes close to characterizing the tone of a BB cruise, it's not my style. In fact, I was a bit concerned about the apparently free-flowing beer and wine on their trips. Interestingly, Nekton offers neither.

So, I'm gonna do more investigation into Nekton (and perhaps a few other of the middle-grade liveaboards).

Thanks, again.

Ron

Any thoughts?

Ron

You're right to question whether this is for you, I think. You may want to read this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cr...eard-s-certainly-not-everyone.html#post908666 and other threads as well to figure it out for yourself.

However: There is often an awning up on top and there is a small galley below decks where you can get out of the sun. I've been on two BB cruises and there were people in their 50-60s on both who had a great time, including a woman celebrating her 60th birthday. So while 59 is not too old, you want to make sure you're a certain kind of person before going on a trip like this.

Oh, yes, there is beer and punch and wine when you are done for the day. Most people drink very responsibly. A few people drank a lot more.

Edit: For the record, I'm mid-30s, don't like to drink excessively, could afford a "better" boat, and still had a great time and would go again. It's more a mind-set than anything else.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses.

There were two comments that really jumped out at me.

The first was in a very helpful PM. The conclusion of the PM was something like, "I think of Blackbeard cruises as being for the young and poor....I'm not either." Well, you know what? I'm also neither young, nor poor, which pushed me hard toward something a step up from BB. (Nekton may be it.)

The second was Doc's rhetorical question, "how do you look drunk and naked?" I gotta admit that that may be the first time I have actually recoiled from a post on SB. If "drunk and naked" even comes close to characterizing the tone of a BB cruise, it's not my style. In fact, I was a bit concerned about the apparently free-flowing beer and wine on their trips. Interestingly, Nekton offers neither.

So, I'm gonna do more investigation into Nekton (and perhaps a few other of the middle-grade liveaboards).

Thanks, again.

Ron

Definitely check out the Nekton. I think it is much more to your needs. Most of the people we have met on the trip are people who can afford the "more expensive" liveaboards but choose the Nekton because of the roominess and the relaxed, easy-going fun factor. Several people on our last trip (see my trip report) have done those others and other liveaboards and were amazed at how much bettter they liked the Nekton. :D It was interesting to hear their stories and comparisons.

We have friends who love the Blackbeards trips (but they are 2single guys who are on a limited income, love to drink and party). We have other friends who hated it (said it was boring, too cramped, no privacy, compressor was so slow they only got in 3 dives per day, ....). So it all depends what you are looking for.

robin:D

I think Explorer Ventures is running a Caribbean Exploerer Specuial in Novembe.

Try this link :Explorer Ventures: Caribbean Explorer I, George Town, Exuma
I respectully have to disagree. According to a recent e-mail - The CEX1 is being retired and the CEX II isn't taking over the Bahamas Itinerary till March 2009.
Departing: Emerald Bay, George Town, Exuma Saturdays
Schedule: Aboard Caribbean Explorer I through October 25, 2008 and aboard Caribbean Explorer II beginning March 21, 2009 through July 25, 2009

Interestingly, Nekton offers neither.

Nekton is BYOB, they stop at a liquor store prior to sailing. Also a food store for snacks/softdrinks etc. Nekton only supplies (great) food, coffee, lemonade, fruit punch etc. onboard.

In December they're offering $600 off their Mona Island trips. It's a little rougher trip than some of their other itineraries -at least according to their description. Nice thing about the SWATH boats is they're a lot more stable than other liveaboards (except the big cats like Aquacat and the Lammer's) And of course you'll only have to share a room (with bathroom - not the public heads on BB) with one other person - on the less crowded itineraries you could get your own room. And the rooms are fairly good sized, two single beds, an aisle between them, a small cabinet for your clothes plus a bath with shower (sink is in the room). I'm 6'3" and had no problems with the room.

I'm guessing the Mona trips will be less crowded (generally Nekton discounts their underbooked itineraries) - we're considering one, but maybe in January. One point is that you have to get from San Juan to Mayaguez to meet the boat, it's $125. (rt?)

But it's a nice big boat with A/C in the upstairs lounge (big TV, library etc) - (is there even a lounge on BB?), cold A/C in the rooms and there's an upper partly shaded deck where most people socialize between dives. My buddy and I were in our late 40's and most people were around our age except for one family with a bunch of well-behaved teenage kids. And we had a full boat. (31 + crew)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom