I have a tough question er.. problem.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
I went to visit my sister today and when I walked into their house, I was greeted by a 125 gallon Saltwater aquarium,(I almost fit :))That wasn't my problem. When my sister said "On your next dive trip bring something back for the tank." I have no idea what type of things I could bring back, outside of the normal shell or sand dollar.

What type of objects should I try to bring back??

Nothing alive... a good rule of thumb is to take only pictures, leave only bubbles. But if you must bring something, look for a cool looking rock. Or perhaps if you come across sharks teeth on the bottom... that would be very cool!

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Now, now, Mario, look at his name. :)

I concur with Mario on this, but interestingly I walked into a dive shop a while back that had a huge aquaruim with several large (and captured) Angelfish in it.

What a name it is though!! I'm just happy they'll never name a manuver after it. :) WM.

Yeah the question is kinda like a delima, it would be nice to add something to the tank but I don't want to cause harm to the "big pool" along the way. So rocks, discarded shells, and ????

How about a couple 5lb lobsters. :wink: or a shrimp or two. If you never tried to catch a shrimp with your hands you haven't had fun and a laugh. I dive the rivers and some shrimp come into the fresh water some times and I try to catch them sometimes. Its funny how slow I am compared to them. Only caught one out of 4 so far.

FK,my brother has several large aquariums.I had offered to him to do the same.He told me that locally caught fish often carry disease that will harm expensive store bought exotics.I instead did as you said ,shells and a few big fossilized sharks teeth.

Non-divers tend to think that the sea is wall to wall sharks and that we have nothing better to do than to pillage the ocean.As soon as someone knows that I am a diver,they start bringing out the Davy Jones prefered shopping lists of what they want you to get.It happens to everyone.I just tell them to get their own.I have enough fun just watching my little marine buddies. :nono:
Cheers Big Ears,
The Thunder from Down Under,
There can be only one,
The Gasman.

Boy, I'm with the majority. Don't bring back anything alive. And don't buy anything at the pet store. I can't quote my source since it's been a few years, but the statistics for salt water fish are staggering. Something like 90% die before they ever reach the pet store. Most salt water fish cannot be bred in captivity. That means that they have to come from the reefs. Then, the capture methods are quite harsh. I wish I could remember my source but you might want to do some research and let your sister know. Fresh water is a little kinder to the eco-system.

Back
Top Bottom