Noob Question - Rent a Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElvisC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm going on first dive trip. Will rent all of my equipment from Wannadive in Bonaire. They rent computers for $10/day. I know I will lose some BT manually tracking my time, but should I spend the $60-70 to rent a computer for a week? If so, why? Thanks for the help.

When doing the multidive multiday thing in a place like Bonaire, you gain a lot of convienience with a computer. Which is very nice - you're on vacation after all. :)

Whether it will gain you much or any bottom time depends on how often you're diving and your profiles, and how fast you burn a tank at this point. Though if you're doing 4-5 dives a day it may help some even if you're still in the air hog stage like many newer divers.

Our first trip to Bonaire we did not have computers yet and rented them. Considered it well worth it. But if I was doing it now, I'd probably buy one. Basic wrist computers are not that expensive and you will pay that much in rentals in a few trips. Plus you'd always have the same computer that you're familiar with. And easy to pack!

i suggest you give it a try.. computers give you convenience and confidence!

ciao!

Whether it will gain you much or any bottom time depends on how often you're diving and your profiles, and how fast you burn a tank at this point. Though if you're doing 4-5 dives a day it may help some even if you're still in the air hog stage like many newer divers.

That's what it is all about....

If you're going with some seasoned divers that will help you keep moving along or if you are really gung ho as a new diver I'd suggest having a computer in whatever mode you can afford.

If you're going to be making a couple of dives a day with the air usage of a new diver at the depths where you belong nitrogen management becomes pretty easy.

Being in Bonaire I hope you plan on being the 4-5 dives a day diver and as such the computer will make things easier and let you maximize your bottom times. Much of the shore diving there tends to be multilevel and a computer can reclaim a lot of bottom time.

A common dive plan is to find the edge of the reef in a very short swim, slide down to a desired depth and swim against the current until you hit 1/2 pressure. Swing up the reef to a depth that is 20-30+ feet less and ride the current home. The lesser depth and favorable current make the return a little faster and you get home with an appropriate air reserve. Since a good chunk of time is at lesser than maximum depth the multilevel nature of the computer really pays off.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom