Hollis Drysuit......

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, I can proudly say that you are all going to LOVE the Hollis drysuit when it comes out! I did a demo on a Large suit about a month ago, and fell in love. Its extremely durable, very stretchy, really warm, great in water characteristics....and a cool looking suit :cool2:

We are getting a couple more for our weekend bus trip to Mermet Springs(Sept. 12-14) So if your in the area, stop by and try on one :D

You can see a quick review here

I will try and get a more indepth review after more dives this weekend....its just so busy at the shop to try and get you guys a long winded review...so please feel free to ask ANY and ALL questions.

The only things I didnt like, which they are changing, is the zipper location(already changed) and there were a few to many patches that my guy Nick put on because he is very proud of his last name :wink:

I did a demo on a Large suit about a month ago, and fell in love.

Like it better than the Fusion? And if so, why?

2 different suits.

Fusion- Light weight, streamlined, great mobility with no effort, suit doesnt stretch its over sized and kept together by a stretchy material

Hollis- Heavy duty, your not going to puncture or put a hole in this. It can take abuse. It stretches like a wetsuit, more like a very stretchy 7mm, heavy as in weight.

Again they are to different suits. I see this going after the person that needs a comfortable suit, but wants it to be heavier duty as far as: zebra mussels, sharp objects, banging around doing research on the bottom, etc.

If you are familiar with DUI, and Pinnacle, and some of the other heavier duty suits out there this is it, but you can get a slimmer fit due to the stretch. If you put your fingers together and pull, you can get almost 2inches of stretch......I wore a large, way to small for my tall body, and it still fit perfect(except in crotch). I could tell it was going to be to small as there was no room to move, and in ANY other suit, the material would have limited the movements. In the Hollis, i just squatted like nothing, and you can feel the material give where it needs too.

For me, I do like it better than the fusion because Im tough on suits. Dont get me wrong, Im in love with my Fusion because of the lightweight, air bubble managment, comfort, ease of entry and exit, etc. But I have always worried about durability with MY type of diving.

Thanks. I asked because I knew you had dived and liked the Fusion.

I know....and my L/XL is too small in the length....so I need a new one.....took about 3 dives to realize its about 1/2" too small in the length(Im 6'3")...if it would have just been a little bit longer.....and the 2xl/3XL is waaaaaay to much material for my 190lb frame

Mike, I find that interesting that the Fusion fits you in this way. After reading some of the posts about the Fusion I am wondering if that is just an inherent design of the suit. The L/XL fits very similar on me but I am ah lets say vertically challenged (Thats short to the layman). I was a bit worrried when I have to move up to a thicker undergarment that I would not be able to dive the suit as the MK2 seems snug. It is fine on land all though I have to get everything on and really stretch out to get it all to sit comfortably. Under water the suit feels short on me which after reading about the 6' plus divers wearing it would not seem to make sense.

Thoughts?

Even on land, with no undergarment, if I stretch out my legs and shoulders, I can feel it in the crotch. The material itself is coming up too far in the crotch. For my height I should have the 2XL/3Xl, but weight the L/XL....

For you, could it be the lycra bringing the suit up and giving that uncomfy feeling? The suit generally feels snug. A good test to see if your hitting the limits of the suit, take off the skin...Put the suit back on, with just the inner bladder. This will tell you how snug the suit really is. Most of the time there is plenty of room, but the outer skin makes it seem really snug. It could be snug on you anyway, its hard to say.....but you can try that to see if you can move to a bigger UG.

Hope that helps a bit....

Well, I can proudly say that you are all going to LOVE the Hollis drysuit when it comes out! I did a demo on a Large suit about a month ago, and fell in love. Its extremely durable, very stretchy, really warm, great in water characteristics....and a cool looking suit :cool2:

We are getting a couple more for our weekend bus trip to Mermet Springs(Sept. 12-14) So if your in the area, stop by and try on one :D

You can see a quick review here

I will try and get a more indepth review after more dives this weekend....its just so busy at the shop to try and get you guys a long winded review...so please feel free to ask ANY and ALL questions.

The only things I didnt like, which they are changing, is the zipper location(already changed) and there were a few to many patches that my guy Nick put on because he is very proud of his last name :wink:

Thanks Mike :D. You're right, the only differences between our production suits and your demo suits are a shorter main zip and a few missing logos. We are very pleased with the material and results so far and are looking forward to getting these into the market.

Let us all know about your trip to Mermet and experience with the suits.

Best Regards,

Back
Top Bottom