What are the best lobster diving gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peaceful ways

Registered
Reaction score
I'm taking my 2nd lobster trip opening week this year, last year I ruined two pairs of 3-4mm neoprene gloves. I'm thinking of Dacor Caribbean 2 mm Amara gloves, Would they be warm enough, thick enough, and rugged enough. I'm sure I'll still ruin the 2mm amara gloves but at least I'll have better dexterity and they'll be a lot less expensive.

So I've tried a bunch of different things, and finally concluded that these:
TurtleSkin FullCoverage Gloves : Advanced Aramid Protection

...are the best thing going. They're basically intended for janitors / maintenance workers / construction folks who work around sharp stuff. They're seriously puncture proof. I always used to get stabbed by urchins, lobster spines, etc. I can take an urchin and crush it in my hand wearing these gloves.

There are a few issues to be aware of:
1. They're a bit pricey. For a while they were available cheap on closeout from Lab Safety, but that seems to be over so you'll probably pay full price ($65)

2. They have no insulation. I don't find this problematic, but you might.

3. While they're HIGHLY puncture resistant, abrasion is a different matter. I wore out the fingertips on my first pair after about 15 or 20 dives from holding onto rocks, etc (basically sanded away the fibers). I just picked up a new pair and I'm going to try dipping the abraision-prone points (fingertips) in plasti-dip to see if I can keep that from happening.

All that said, I'm never going back to standard dive gloves again for bugs. These things are the shiznit.

-Benha

You want the FullCoverage 100% Aramid Plus ones with "Puncture Level 2" protection

Amara won't hold up very well if lobstering or spearfishing seriously, and they have no neoprene under the palms so they are not real warm for a cold water place.

I use the all Armor (kevlar) Tex gloves from Akona here in FL. They are the best for dexterity and heavy duty use.

In winter I switch to the "Bug Hunter" they're all neoprene 2mm with Armortex palms, fingers and finger sides. One pair has lasted me 5 years of heavy but winter only use. They run $37.00.
(Now available in 3mm also for $49.00 and 5mm for $52.00.)

Chad

I'm taking my 2nd lobster trip opening week

You in Cali by any chance? Little bit different bug hunting than us Florida boys. Hugging rocks while digging bugs means you need more rock abrasion resistance. And if in the shallows while beach diving means some long cold bottom times. Let us know, I have some friends doing some right handed change ups.

Hi, I am in south florida, dive year round and use exclusively Akona kevlar gloves. I find they provide the best protection for my hands while allowing me very good dexterity. They also last the longest of any gloves I have ever used. Compared to some others, they may be more on the pricey side but well worth it. Most of my diving buddies use the same glove.

Hello,
Not sure where you live but florida freedivers sells these gloves that are the greatest gloves. I have tried the akona kevlar gloves they lasted me about three months and i paid 40.00 bucks for them, These gloves were about 15.00 bucks, they are a cotton glove with some kind of heavy tar/rubber material on them. My first pair lasted about ten months and i have my second pair now and won't wear anything else. Todd

I have had 2 pair of the Akona full Kevlar gloves. The first pair were stolen. I bought another pair to replace them, even though some of the stitching came loose. I restitched the seam with no issues.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom