Indonesia from end of October - chance for mola-mola in Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi!

I am planning a trip to Indonesia from end of October.
I only found the best dates for mola-mola sightings for in Bali 2007. Who has the dates for 2008? Is end of October still part of the best period for sightings? Are the manta rays in Bali seasonal, too?
Anyway, where else would you go in November for good diving conditions? I thought about Bira/Selayar or maybe a liveaboard around there.
Is Komodo worth going back as I n november other dive sites might be accessible than in May (last trip) and maybe some pelagics.
By the way, how about Lembeh?
Finally, I am not looking for expensive resorts.
Actually, are there heavy fines for excess baggage on Indonesian domestic flights?

Thank you.
Cheers, Liberty

I would say in general that because of the lower limits on baggage for domestic flights you need to pay a lot of attention to excess baggage. Until March when Singapore air switched to a different system, the excess baggage charges were One and a half percent of the highest published fare per kilo. Others have posted about their issues with domestic excess baggage charges. Do a search on this forum.

You will find at Lembeh a full range of accommodation. Everyone dives at the same places. Find you level of comfort and be sure to ask about the dive policies. Length of dive (any limit? One hour? ) and diver to guide ratio. One of things that is great about diving in Indonesia is having local guides. They know where the critters hide. Do as many night dives as you can in Lembeh, it is great fun. I saw a crab spawning one night.

By the way, if you are ever in Southern California in the Summer we sometimes see small Mola molas. I have seen two right outside San Pedro breakwater (San Pedro is the harbour of the City of Los Angeles) on the surface. Also saw them underwater at the Anacapa Islands a few summers ago (you can get to them by boat from the city of Ventura, located just north of Los Angeles.

Hi

just emailed with a DM friend in Bali who guides for Mola Mola viewings. Says they have slowed down and the water is getting colder. He saw tons through August/Septenber. Last week he only saw two.

If you go to bali make sure to dive Manta Point. If they are around, the Manta are so beautiful!

Kathy

Back
Top Bottom