simple calculation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
Diving in cool water I wanted to explain a new diver why the air is even more cold and how to calculate it.
I could before....Lets say: 200 bar and you get on the surface 1 bar in your mouth. No heat exchange (for making it simpler).
Air at 200 bar=15 degree celcius
Air at 1 bar=??
I think I knew that 2 years ago but now....brain empty....someone know??

off the top of my head you're asking about the perfect gas law (Pv=nRT). Note that gas at high pressure isn't considered perfect, but you may get a decent approximation.

off the top of my head you're asking about the perfect gas law (Pv=nRT). Note that gas at high pressure isn't considered perfect, but you may get a decent approximation.

yes, considering that it is perfect enough at 200 bar.
How would you use it in this case?
(or lets say open the tank on surface, how cold is the air coming out).

Thanks
Michael

(P1)(V1)(T2)=(P2)(V2)(T1)

But remeber all units must match, pressure must be absolute, and temperature must be in Kelvin.
(200/1)(288)= 1.44 K or -271 C
Of course this would be assuming volume stays equal, and that this is 100% adiabatic exspansion. Which is not possible. The gas does not have enough specific heat to maintain that temperature.

Forget the math and physics class, just tell them that a gas becomes cooler as it expands just as it heats when compressed. Show them (on the surface) by opening a tank valve (without a regulator) and release some air, the valve will get cold. Them remind them that a freshly filled tank is always warmer that normal.

(P1)(V1)(T2)=(P2)(V2)(T1)

But remeber all units must match, pressure must be absolute, and temperature must be in Kelvin.
(200/1)(288)= 1.44 K or -271 C
Of course this would be assuming volume stays equal, and that this is 100% adiabatic exspansion. Which is not possible. The gas does not have enough specific heat to maintain that temperature.
That's not correct because the volume changes...
That was exactly my problem....

A perfect gas would not get colder when it expands,but perfect gases do not exist in reality.

A real gas gets colder because when it expands intermolecular attractions have to be overcome.The energy to overcome these attractions has to come from somewhere and that somewhere is the temperature of the gas.

Back
Top Bottom