Dork wants to join!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

potato cod

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there, Dorks!

I've been on SB for a few weeks and I just found Dork Divers. I got lost for awhile just trying to figure out what BP/W and DIR meant...

Anyway, I love the Dork Diver manifesto! I live by deep, murky green water that requires more technical diving, but I'm just not that interested. I love the warm sunlit water, sea critters, having fun, and not caring that I'm comfortable in a jacket-style BC and a reg that may not cut it in 40-degree water. When my spouse and I dive, we love to meet new people on the dive boat and new buddies underwater.

My spouse calls me Dorkasaurus and I often refer to him as Dorkadactyl, so hopefully that qualifies us. I also like to ponder getting my cat into scuba gear, but figure after the little weight belt he would just sit down and refuse to participate.

My other qualifications (out of water) include a love of star trek, star wars, firefly (the best tv series nobody saw), and playing nerdy board games.

Sooo, what do you say? Am I in?

:popcorn: (p.s. this is my first smilie. I'm using it because I love popcorn, but will gladly trade it in for a dork smiley)

Dorkasaurus and Dorkadactyl.:rofl4: :rofl3:

AND having FUN,yep you caulify.Welcome to the :dork2:side

There are two different opinions I've heard, "you must have a pink snorkel and an orange shovel to be a dork diver", but I've also heard you must "just dive and have fun", given I do not own the former, I'm going with the latter.

Having fun is the#1 rule.:dork2:
Snorkel and orange shovel are just added options :rofl3:

There are two different opinions I've heard, "you must have a pink snorkel and an orange shovel to be a dork diver", but I've also heard you must "just dive and have fun", given I do not own the former, I'm going with the latter.

Like Evert said, snorkels and/or shovels are not part of the factory package, they are consumer add-ons.

If your love to dive and have fun doing, you are part of our not-so-exclusive club.

Dorkasaurus and Dorkadactyl, - Now that's just plain funny!:rofl3:

Ooooh, although not required, I do have this nice crazy YELLOW snorkel and a hood that makes me look like a conehead (but feel sooo snuggly). That's Dorkadactyl on the left.

:dork2:

Attachments

• Cod in the Bahamas.jpg
    Cod in the Bahamas.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 120
I loved Firefly. I don't have the name Dork but my kids think I am so I guess I qualify :clapping:

Ooooh, although not required, I do have this nice crazy YELLOW snorkel and a hood that makes me look like a conehead (but feel sooo snuggly). That's Dorkadactyl on the left.

:dork2:

Just looks like you're having FUN,so you're in.:D:dork2:

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Thought I'd share this anecdote from the dinner party Dorkadactyl and I had last night. Well, we have a bunch of underwater widelife pics from our trips hung up around the house, which naturally drew some comments and led to a discussion about diving. Several people expressed their common fears about diving: "I'm afraid of sharks" or "I'm afraid of having all that water over my head" or "I'm afraid of not being able to see my feet" etc. But the funniest thing I heard all day was my friend, who is admittedly a large guy, looking at the group and deadpanning: "I'm afraid of wetsuits!" :rofl3:

cheers,
Potato Cod
:dork2::dork2:

I actually just rewatched Firefly the other day. (I ran out of books before the libraries reopened after Gustav, so it was on to DVDs.) As for board games...

...ever heard of ISOSAD? :biggrin:

I really need to get busy on adapting RISK for underwater play if I'm going to try to get a trip to Valhalla (the Atlas nuclear missile silo you can dive near Midland, TX) together this fall/spring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom