PADI's min. age for Nitrox set in stone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fuzzmutton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm wondering if PADI ever makes an exception to the rule for the minimum age for Nitrox certification, and if their only reason for setting the age requirement is the fear a child any younger would not grasp the math and safety issues involved.

I ask because I have a chance to get certified now for $25 and get a discount for any family member, hubby is not interested in taking the course with me but my 14 year would be. He is pretty smart (IQ of 140, so sez the school) and I think he would do fine in the class.

Does anyone know of any exceptions that have been made?

Fuzz

I'm wondering if PADI ever makes an exception to the rule for the minimum age for Nitrox certification, and if their only reason for setting the age requirement is the fear a child any younger would not grasp the math and safety issues involved.

I ask because I have a chance to get certified now for $25 and get a discount for any family member, hubby is not interested in taking the course with me but my 14 year would be. He is pretty smart (IQ of 140, so sez the school) and I think he would do fine in the class.

Fuzz

How close is he to 15? Nothing says that he could not start the course and take the exam at age 15.

Fuzz

Not to my knowledge. PADI sets the guidelines and it takes an act of congress to get waivers. There would really have to be a good reason. At 14, what good would it do to dive nitrox. There is no real benefit at the depths he can dive. Good deal though, the books cost more than that.

He just turned 14,

Don, I just wanted someone to take the class with, he was interested, and it's cheap for us right now. It might not be as cheap for us next year. But anyway, I think it wouldn't be any less benificial to him than it would be to anyone else (if I take your meaning), he will be going on to take AOW soon.

Fuzz

Not to my knowledge. PADI sets the guidelines and it takes an act of congress to get waivers. There would really have to be a good reason. At 14, what good would it do to dive nitrox. There is no real benefit at the depths he can dive. Good deal though, the books cost more than that.

For multiple days and multiple dives it could be a benefit. Like a trip to Bonaire or a liveaboard.

for $25 bucks, have him take the class for the knowledge. Who cares if he gets another card from PADI? (other than PADI)

for $25 bucks, have him take the class for the knowledge. Who cares if he gets another card from PADI? (other than PADI)

If he actually wants to dive on nitrox or get a nitrox fill, he'll want the card. Granted, his parents could probably get the tanks for him but not under all circumstances. The kid will end up having to take the class "for real" at some point, likely right after they turn 15.

A better question: Why doesn't your husband see the benefit in diving nitrox?? :confused:

Well its not some magic juice - its useful in some circumstances and no use in others.

For 90% of my diving, its useless so i dont use it a lot for example.

Back
Top Bottom