Fort Wetherill Bound Sept 19-21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thursday night we're planning the drive down to RI to enjoy some milder water and hopefully spot some wayward tropicals. We're planning to dive Friday and Saturday and maybe even Sunday AM depending on the situation.

Hopefully we will run into a few of you fine folks. I'll be driving a Maroon GMC Savanna, Maine plates GILSONS.

A few questions I've been meaning to research....
Is a dive flag required? Is there enough boat activity to make it advisable? I dive with a DSMB so I can shoot that if we need to surface in a questionable spot.

Is night diving allowed or is there a good alternate spot nearby?

There's been some good tips and suggestions in recent threads, we're all ears if you have more. We hope to enjoy meeting and perhaps diving with some of you. That's it for now, gotta go diving.

Pete

Yes, a flag is definately requied by law, I think it's 4 divers max per flag.
I hope that the coming week brings a lot of high pressure into the area. Inshore diving has been mucked up hard lately. The storms and rain have really affected the entire region. If the weather stays unstable you may want to postpone. Wetherill can get pretty murky as it has a direct southern exposure to Naggy Bay and the sound. Beavertail is the same way.

I went to CT's Stonington point just before Hanna arrived and it was all braile diving - I cannot imagine that anything has improved.

If you do make the trip, dive in the early mornings before the instructor led groups arrive for your best vis. It's a great place to dive.

Just to add, flags must be lit when diving at night.

Just got back and diving was spectacular. We had 20+ vis in areas. We entered near low tide. We spotted 10+ spotfins and the bluebus had gathered 2 nice sea horses, some spotfins, some neat cowfish of 2 colors, and a scallop.

Reporters and photogrophers were there interviewing the tropical fish divers.

Dive time = 100 mins and Max depth was 30 ft.
Most spotfins seen at 10-15 ft.
Water temp was 67 F.

Met the RIO crew comming in from the L8 dive who shared a ration jalepeno chips and dip with us.

What a pleasent surprise considering overcast sky and recent storms etc.

Met the RIO crew comming in from the L8 dive who shared a ration jalepeno chips and dip with us.

I still can't figure out how you got Ed to share his chips. That bag is just for him and if Earl or I get near those he usually growls and bites! Then again, I hate those chips so it works out fine. :D

We had a good dive on the L8. The seas were up to about 4ft, but it was mostly swells so it wasn't too bad. The vis on the wreck was only about 5 ft, but the L8 is known for being a murky dive so we were expecting that.

Well Chris I was going to mentioned when you guys got alarmed when it was thought we were about to drive away with the Jalopeno bag. Always wondered why Ed has an emergency strobe light on his dashboard.

yeah... I also do not understand how you could have gotten Ed to share those jalapeno chips! :confused:
Chris and I enjoy the regular Cape Cod chips (and regular heluva dip, of course).....much better!

Well it appears it must have been a great day for many reasons then. Looks like I got the royal treatment today being allowed to have a ration of the sacred Jalopenos.

Well it's off to pack whatever it will take. We're driving down Thursday night to enjoy at least 2 full days of diving on Friday and Saturday with a possible Sunday morning dip.

I hope I can meet a few of you southern New England divers while we visit Fort Wetherill.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom