Spiegel Grove Mix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottomfeeder Brodie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I never was one to trust depths listed at sites as I have rarely seen anything listed as "acurate". I was wondering if any of you guys that frequent the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo could give me a good "from experience" actual depth of the structure most frequented on intial explorations. I'm thinking the bridge to deck areas. I need to know so I don't get stuck at 95 ft with 36% with everything cool below. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks :D

I never was one to trust depths listed at sites as I have rarely seen anything listed as "acurate". I was wondering if any of you guys that frequent the Spiegel Grove in Key Largo could give me a good "from experience" actual depth of the structure most frequented on intial explorations. I'm thinking the bridge to deck areas. I need to know so I don't get stuck at 95 ft with 36% with everything cool below. Any inputs would be appreciated. Thanks :D

The sand is 130ish, but there's so much to see there's no need to go down there. When it was on it's side, the Starboard passageway was about 120ft and that was generally my max for the dive. If I was doing a lot of penetration, I would dive 30/30, otherwise 32% is fine.

I had a bunch of dives on it before it was righted, but few since. However, you can probably see the vast majority of the wreck on 36%, but I'd stay with 32%. 36% is better for dives in the 70ft range, but that's just me...

I've done SG many times since it got righted. You have to get to at least 80fsw to swim the superstructure. As DeepSeaExplorer stated, you hit the sand at about 130fsw. 30-32% is my normal mix on SG and never a problem. The best way to see the whole ship is to do a double dive, relocating to another mooring ball for the second dive. Have fun, she's a beauty.

There is lot's to see on the Spiegel without even going below 110 ft. If it's your first dive on the wreck, 32% and you'll have plenty to see before maxing out that mix. I would not go below 110 myself on 32% since I don't like pushing the mix to 1.6 PO2 unless it's for deco.

Mat.

It really depends on which mooring ball you get. #8 is on the bow which is at around 90', #1 and #2 are aft and are around 100'. #4, #5, #6, and #7 are the least deep (I started to type shallowest but thought the better of it). You'll find a lot of the dive shops in Key Largo will specifically mix 28% to 30% for the Grove. If I were bringing my own tanks I'd personally do 32% since I wouldn't go beyond the MOD for that mix on that dive, YMMV.

I dove the Grove in October last year. Never went below 100' with a lot to see. I used Island Ventures for the dive. I had never used them before, but they were great. When I go back, I will definitely use them again.

Thank you Gentlemen. Sounds like 32% is a good choice here for the first trip. I do always dive my own tanks so I can get a good fill I can trust. Its only a 3 hr ride to the Grove and my friend said that Amy's Amoray was a nice place to crash for the trip so....Can't wait. Finishing up some training so we'll feel a little better for the dive! A good warmup for some Oriskani action. Safe diving my friends.....

Id use air or 28% and just do the stops if needs be and you go that deep. Its better than artificially limiting your dive due to a wrong mix.

Id use air or 28% and just do the stops if needs be and you go that deep. Its better than artificially limiting your dive due to a wrong mix.

I'm with you. Most of my local (NY) diving is between 60 and 130 ft. Often times we don't know where we are going till we get to the inlet.
28% works for all those depths, while most of those dives are deco the difference for 28 % in shallow is not that much that it limits my dives, and 28% gets me to 130 ft w/o issue, can even stretch it to 140 (ppo2 of 1.46)

Of course when I get to FL, its often what do they have banked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom