Wreck diving in New England

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archaeology22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was hoping to get some answers about diving wrecks in New England. I am advanced open water certified along with nitrox, wreck, cavern, search & recovery and underwater archaeology specialties. I started diving in 2005 and so far I have logged 62 dives (20 of those wreck dives). All of the wreck diving I have done was done in South Florida and some of these wrecks were in the 100-120 ft depth range. I always used single tanks while diving these wrecks, as did instructors and very experienced divers that I dove with. I am anxious to get back into diving since I have moved to Boston, but I am a little uncomfortable about diving in unfamiliar conditions - such as cold water, minimal visibility and possibly stronger current. Furthermore, I don't know anyone here who dives, so I am buddyless. I was watching some videos on youtube of divers on the U-853 wreck off of Block Island and noticed that they were all using double tanks and some of them even had an additional full-sized 80 cylinder strapped on the side (I am assuming as a stage or bail-out tank). It appears that the equipment requirements in this area are far different from Florida. Is it possible to dive wrecks in this area using a single 80 and a 30 pony bottle? Can anyone elaborate about any major equipment differences for this area compared to south Florida? Any info will be helpful - thanks. Greg

I suppose our colder water and lower vis might increase your gas consumption and how much you'll need to take with you.

I'd say just experiment a little and gradually increase your depths to see what you need. Try a dive with an al80 on the wreck of the Chester Poling at 80 to 100' and see how you do. That's the typical tank used there for non-penetration.

Post on the local forum, New England Lobstah Divahs, and you'll get plenty of buddy offers and/or advice:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-england-lobsta-divahs/

Dave C

I was hoping to get some answers about diving wrecks in New England. I am advanced open water certified along with NITROX, wreck, cavern, search & recovery and underwater archeology specialties. I started diving in 2005 and so far I have logged 62 dives (20 of those wreck dives). All of the wreck diving I have done was done in South Florida and some of these wrecks were in the 100-120 ft depth range. I always used single tanks while diving these wrecks, as did instructors and very experienced divers that I dove with. I am anxious to get back into diving since I have moved to Boston, but I am a little uncomfortable about diving in unfamiliar conditions - such as cold water, minimal visibility and possibly stronger current. Furthermore, I don't know anyone here who dives, so I am buddyless. I was watching some videos on youtube of divers on the U-853 wreck off of Block Island and noticed that they were all using double tanks and some of them even had an additional full-sized 80 cylinder strapped on the side (I am assuming as a stage or bail-out tank). It appears that the equipment requirements in this area are far different from Florida. Is it possible to dive wrecks in this area using a single 80 and a 30 pony bottle? Can anyone elaborate about any major equipment differences for this area compared to south Florida? Any info will be helpful - thanks. Greg

You are correct is assuming that diving to 130 feet in New England is much different than diving to the same depth in the Caribbean or Florida.

The water is much colder, visibility will more than likely be considerably reduced and the diving conditions much different relative to exposure suits and weighting.

More than likely you will be diving in a dry suit and using much more weight than you would in Florida or the Caribbean.

You might want to get some experience with an instructor or other highly qualified diver familiar with diving to that depth in New England before attempting a dive such as this.

You will probably want to switch from an aluminum 80 to a high pressure steel cylinder such as an HP 119. Even then you will still need a pony bottle of 19 CF or more.

I have never dove on the U853 sight and quite frankly don't feel I am qualified to at this point. I have been to that depth in Hawaii but not in New England. The deepest I have been in New England is 90 - 95 feet (Chester Poling). There is a big difference between 95 feet and 130 feet in New England.

I always look at it from the point of view that diving is a hobby and taking unnecessary risks is unwarranted.

I lived at the naval base in Newport, RI for a year and did some diving up there in the bay. I didn't make it too the U boat because each time i tried to go the weather wasn't acting right. There are a lot of different types of equipment you can use but the most important two are 1. drysuit and 2. good thermals to wear underneath. Also i recommend looking over some underwater navigation and making sure you got a good dive computer. I did plenty of dives where the entry/exit point was only seen when getting in and out. It is a great experience and I definitely recommend it if you are looking for a challenge, that anyone can overcome if they are willing. Fort Weatherall is a good place that goes all the way to the bottom, around 130. It is a nice drop off, a lot to see and it gives you every condition the bay can throw at you, or a good representation of new England diving. Call newport diving center at 401-847-9293, if you head up to newport to try it out. They are very knowledgeable and John Gibson, if he is still there will take you out. He is a great dive instructor that loves diving, he'll keep an eye on you and make sure you are comfortable in those cold northern waters. Just like you I am from south florida and did all my diving down there then came up to newport and didn't want to stop diving. You'll get used to it but it will take a couple dives before that happens. Good luck, hopefully you make it to the U boat, i know I am trying to make it back up there and see it.:D

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom