new england wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archaeology22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was hoping to get some answers about diving wrecks in New England. I am advanced open water certified along with nitrox, wreck, cavern, search & recovery and underwater archaeology specialties. I started diving in 2005 and so far I have logged 62 dives (20 of those wreck dives). All of the wreck diving I have done was done in South Florida and some of these wrecks were in the 100-120 ft depth range. I always used single tanks while diving these wrecks, as did instructors and very experienced divers that I dove with. I am anxious to get back into diving since I have moved to Boston, but I am a little uncomfortable about diving in unfamiliar conditions - such as cold water, minimal visibility and possibly stronger current. Furthermore, I don't know anyone here who dives, so I am buddyless. I was watching some videos on youtube of divers on the U-853 wreck off of Block Island and noticed that they were all using double tanks and some of them even had an additional full-sized 80 cylinder strapped on the side (I am assuming as a stage or bail-out tank). It appears that the equipment requirements in this area are far different from Florida. Is it possible to dive wrecks in this area using a single 80 and a 30 pony bottle? Can anyone elaborate about any major equipment differences for this area compared to south Florida? Any info will be helpful - thanks. Greg

It depends on your air consumption. Usually all deep diving done up here is wreck diving and a lot of wreck divers like doubles for more air and negative bouyancy also. If you are in shape you can safely dive the U-853 at 110 ft for 10 mins non-deco with an 80-30 combo.

In the tropics there is all sorts of deep diving and wearing steel doubles with a bathingsuit (thin suit) would be dangerous; you would sink like a rock. Navigation is easier in the tropics as you can see further. In NE the water can be low vis needing the extra air to navigate if a wreck reel is not used.

Thats another issue; I've spent plenty of air waiting for a buddy to untangle a wreck reel that are also heavily used in NE.

It appears the deep wreck diving in NE also requires a lot of multitasking that uses up more air.

Also, the cold 40-70 temps require more air.

So its a different ball game at times especially in these dark water wrecks were extra air will ease you more towards a good comfort zone.

I've seen plenty of divers with singles and a pony diving the U-853. There are some divers here who do plenty of video "taping" the New England wrecks, and it just so happens that they are "Tech Divers" as well. Which means that most likely they prefer to dive doubles. I myself prefer doubles for those "deeper dives" for various reasons but not too long ago was diving those wrecks with a single tank on my back and a 30CF pony slung on my left.

The important thing is to dive safely within your level with whichever equipment you know is right for the dive.

As mentioned it is a different ball game here vs. Fla. Environmental factors like cold, current, visibility are conditions which can (and do) affect gas consumption. In short, East coast wreck divers like to have plenty of gas for safety. You'll see all manner of equipment configs. in the NE. Doubles and some bailout gas somewhat a standard config.

That being said you can certainly do shallower wreck dives on a 80 + 30 bailout...but you may eventually find that a AL 80 can get consumed pretty quick. If I am using OC for shallower dives with very little deco. I will use a single steel 100 + sling a 40, or 80 Luxfer. If the profile is deeper and longer I use my rebreather with bailout gas.

If you go to the section you will find NE divers a plenty!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/north-eastern-united-states/

I am not a fan of diving at 100 feet or deeper with a single and a pony bottle and here's why, especially in the North Atlantic. If you are down there and develop a deco obligation, a pony bottle may allow you enough gas to get to the surface, but probably not enough gas to perform your decompression. Conditions in the North Atlantic can be treacherous. Current can prevent you from getting back to the anchor line and you should be totally self reliant in case you can't get to another diver for support (i.e. additional gas). You may find yourself performing deco (or safety stop) while floating from a lift bag in the current as you drift away from the boat. There are a lot of things to think about in this environment. My advice would be to dive doubles or independent singles and use the rule of thirds for penetration of any wrecks.

My .02.

Dive Safe!

I would suggest before doing any deep wrecks up here you do some shore diving or shallower dives and get used to diving in cold water--it is a lot different diving with a hood, gloves and 7mm (or a dry suit) than what you need in FL. Also, before doing the U853, do some other dives that aren't as challenging (but are still challenging, don't get me wrong)--Poling or something like that. I have done the U853 once and am glad I did (used a single 100 and a pony), but it was definitely the most challenging dive I have done (low viz, current, scary inside--for me anyway). There are a lot of people always looking to dive. When I moved here 8 years ago, I didn't know any divers and now have a great core of people i met through my LDS.

Thanks for all the info everyone. I did some research and the Chester Poling does look like a good starting point for wreck diving here. I'm planning to go to one of the local LDS's in the area tomorrow to get a regulator serviced, so I will look into finding locals to dive with.

I think that's a good plan. Start easier and with local knowledge. You can hit metal on the Poling at 75' and max out at 100' in the sand (at high tide). I always thought if you were comfortable doing the Poling at night you are ready to dive the U853 during the day. Take your time and acclimate to this area.

A single 80 and a 30cf pony is fine of course depending upon your air consumption and thus time at depth. I've done the U853 for example many times with just that setup. I would hit NDL's long before I was approaching a gas issue. You would likely experience the same.

I live in Cambridge, MA and try and dive at least twice a month June - October. I have about 60 or so dives logged and I dive with a single tank and a pony for now (hoping to get into doubles). Unlike yourself, almost all my dives were up here either on wrecks or shore, so I am used to the cold water and low viz. Like yourself, I've been diving since 2005 and my name is also Greg.

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I will be on vacation diving in the Bahamas for the next two weekends, but I am always looking for people to dive with. Shoot me a PM with your info and I'll e-mail you back some good places to look for dive boats, shore dives, etc. I might be up for diving a day in October, but any later then that and I put the gear away for winter. I'm always looking for a good dive buddy as I recently moved up here from NYC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom