Dive Rite BP/W Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GLENFWB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got a Dive Rite setup: Harness, Aluminum Back Plate, Venture Wing. I use an LP 108 single tank. This is my first experience with a BP/W so I am trying to figure out my weighting issues.

Diving the springs last weekend I didn't use any extra weight and was okay because I never drained my tank. Today, I got in the pool and drained the tank down to 500 PSI. Doing a weight check at the surface I need about 2 pounds to be about right.

My question is, what is the best way to add weight to this setup? Also, I am a little concerned about how much weight I will have to add when I get in saltwater. When I was using my Zeagle BC more weight was not a problem with the pockets...but how do most of you put weight on your Dive Rite BP/W? Should I consider a Steel Back plate?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

A few options

1. A steel BP
2. A weighted STA
3. A tailweight pouch
4. Weight attached to tank

Why did you do an Alum plate? Generally those are reserved for doubles or for tropical diving where you are wearing little if any exposure protection. Seems like the opposite of what you want.

Since you only need a pound or two, you may can use a lil pouch from XS as shown in the links. I use two similar pouches with quick release Velcro that is attached and snugged up next to my plate on the waist belt while Monkey diving with my scooter. When I'm ready to move back to my doubles, I simply take them off.

Should you need more weight in the event a change in exposure protection, Dive Rite makes the 16 and 32lb weight pockets that is used on the transpac system that can be weaved into your harness.

Hope this helps,

Kenny

When I was buying the BP/W and I asked about either Alum or Steel, because I use the LP 108 I was told the Alum. should be okay. It appears the steel might have been the better way to go. Now that I have the Alum, would you suggest just getting the steel...or attaching weight? I saw the trim weight pouches that attach to the backplate...know anyone that has used those? If you were in my position what would you do?

A few options

1. A steel BP
2. A weighted STA
3. A tailweight pouch
4. Weight attached to tank

Why did you do an Alum plate? Generally those are reserved for doubles or for tropical diving where you are wearing little if any exposure protection. Seems like the opposite of what you want.

Buy the right tool for the job.

Thick wetsuit + single tank = Steel plate. Chances are, if you stay at this a while, you're going to have a couple or a few plates anyway. A drop in the bucket compared to other gear you'll have.

BY the way, who told you the alum plate would get it done?

A sausage weight can hold 5 lbs and keep the weight in a good location on the plate.
a pouch or 2 on the tank strap may work.
Then there is the simple weight belt.

The AL plate is just fine. How often do you think you'll take your 108 down to 500psi? In the cavern environment you'll never take your pressure down below 1400 anyway. Going with a steel plate would just make you overweighted. It's better to be properly weighted all the time. So the AL plate is fine with your current configuration. If you use a thicker wet suit or decide to dive dry, you can just add a channel weight to compensate for the added buoyancy. You can get one like this that can hold up to 4 lbs. If you need more weight than that, get a 2nd one and add 2 lbs to it and it will fit snugly between your wing and your tank for a total of 6 lbs. Any more than that and you can add a solid weight, but it's doubtful you'll need much more than that. Another point is if you plan on moving to doubles the AL plate will be perfect. The addition of a 2nd tank will make you even heavier. I dive an AL plate with my doubles in a dry suit and I dive 85s. No additional weight needed. You were advised correctly. The AL plate gives you the most flexibility without adding too much weight.

Though I respect Rob and his opinion, I am going to disagree. I prefer to be a bit heavy in the overhead. I know you are cavern trained. Should you have some kind of issue in the overhead, like losing gas, you'll be light. Though we don't PLAN on it, we never know what will happen.

Being light in the overhead is REALLY dangerous. You'd rather be heavy. So you either figure out how to add weight to your current setup or get a steel plate. Either works fine.

Rob presents an easy way to make your aluminum plate the wt of a steel plate without having to buy a steal plate.

If you get the xs scuba pockets I would not recommend getting the quick release kind because I had a buddy whose quick release pouch came undone during a dive and it fell off of him. I'd get the kind you have to thread through your harness or tank strap instead of velcroing it. This is what I use and I put it on my tank straps. You can really only fit about 4 lb in each one.

Because I've explained this before, here is a picture. I put my xs scuba wt pouch where the little yellow shading is. Did I mention they're only 5 bucks?
cam_straps_with_pocket.JPG

Back
Top Bottom