Side Mount Prism 2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silent running

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello Nick, I'm sure you're busy bringing more products to market, but have you seen the side mount version of the Prism? There is picture of one on the SMI home page and another guy has converted his here: Rob's NJ Wreck Diving Blog

Apparently, the only major modifications necessary were to the hose elbows on the counterlungs, the addition of an Inconel sphere for the O2 and the fabrication of a housing for the O2 sphere to fit under the scrubber bucket and allow the unit to stand up and also to protect the Inconel sphere.

I'm wondering if you would give any thought to making the Prism 2 more adaptable to this configuration, maybe as an option. The advantages are a much thinner front to back profile as the scrubber, head and cylinders are tucked under the arms, with only the BC bladder on the back. I asked Peter Readey and he said there would be no compromise in WOB or functionality and this configuration may well be the thinnest profile possible for CCR. Obviously this is great for cave and wreck diving where restrictions are encountered all the time. Another great benefit I see as a traveling diver, is the ease of carrying a large supply of gas in the form of a side mounted 80 cuft cylinder which can then function as the diluent supply and bailout together. And as 80 cuft tanks are the standard world wide, traveling would be that much easier as there would be 1 less cylinder to bring and also no need to bring a small cylinder for bailout and 3rd regulator, which I have to do every time I dive in remote places that aren't CCR friendly. For these reasons and for the additional safety provided by such a large dil/bailout gas supply, I will probably convert mine as well.

I think there would definitely be a market for it among tech divers and anybody like me who regularly travels far to dive. You would be the first manufacturer to offer a side mount CCR and I think it could change the way people dive, especially those who dive in overhead environments and think over the shoulder counterlungs are too bulky. I personally think that the Prism counterlungs don't add much if any bulk to the diver's front to back profile as we never swim perfectly flat in the water with our arms straight out in front of us. The advantages of OTS counterlungs are better WOB/ hydrostatic loading for all body positions, as a water trap for any water that comes in through the mouth PC and enhanced control of buoyancy in tough conditions. I am able to easily reach and manually depress my over pressure valve on the exhale lung and vent my expanding loop very fast in a bad up current and keep from being blown to the surface. I believe this a major safety benefit and have had to do this many times. I could not have managed it with a back mounted counterlung unit as none of them allow for easy access to the OPV and my loop would have to fill up completely to open up on it's own at which point the diver will have little or no control over their ascent rate.

By getting rid of all CCR components from the back, you would have removed most, if not all of the objections overhead environment divers have about OTS counterlung designs, which would certainly be a game changer for many. And with your manufacturing resources, I'm sure you could make a more attractive and sturdy product. The biggest problem I can see would be getting a supply of spheres for the O2 as I'm not sure anybody is currently making them. If you were to try and source them, a better material might be carbon fiber as it seems like it would be more tolerant of being dropped/abused.

Please let me know your thoughts about this, thanks -Andy

Ummm... Has anyone tried to do a formal WOB analysis of the rebreather in that configuration?

Hello dj, I doubt anybody has bothered as there are no production CCRs and so no commercial motivation to do so as of now. It is my understanding that counterlung placement is the single biggest factor in hydrostatic loading and since the side mount configuration leaves the Prism CLs in the same place, the hydrostatic load would not change. On a purely subjective note, the long time Prism diver who developed the modification says the WOB is unchanged. If anything, the WOB may be better as the canister would now be on the same axis as the divers lungs, instead of on the back and above them in the water column as before. -Andy

Andy

A side mount with an Inconel sphere is a little beyond the scope of our engineering effort on the Prism at this time, but certainly something we would like to look at, once we are shipping Prism2 rebreathers.

Thanks for the input.

Hollis

Andy

A side mount with an Inconel sphere is a little beyond the scope of our engineering effort on the Prism at this time, but certainly something we would like to look at, once we are shipping Prism2 rebreathers.

Thanks for the input.

Hollis

Hi Nick, you're welcome. I'm sure you have your hands full trying to get the Prism 2 out the door. But I wanted to bring the side mount configuration to your attention as it seems like it may be the wave of the future for over the shoulder type CCRs like the Prism. I can't see any big disadvantages and there are many benefits. The guy who designed the mod says he will never go back to a standard configuration.

As for the Inconels, I'm thinking the advances in carbon fiber cylinders might make them easier to produce and more resistant to abuse than the steel or aluminum spheres and maybe not as expensive. Getting spheres DOT approved is another problem, but may also be easier with a carbon fiber design.

Speaking of the Prism 2, is there a new delivery date yet? Any late breaking design improvements you'd care to share with us? Thanks, -Andy

Hi Nick, you're welcome. I'm sure you have your hands full trying to get the Prism 2 out the door. But I wanted to bring the side mount configuration to your attention as it seems like it may be the wave of the future for over the shoulder type CCRs like the Prism. I can't see any big disadvantages and there are many benefits. The guy who designed the mod says he will never go back to a standard configuration.

As for the Inconels, I'm thinking the advances in carbon fiber cylinders might make them easier to produce and more resistant to abuse than the steel or aluminum spheres and maybe not as expensive. Getting spheres DOT approved is another problem, but may also be easier with a carbon fiber design.

Speaking of the Prism 2, is there a new delivery date yet? Any late breaking design improvements you'd care to share with us? Thanks, -Andy

Hi Andy,

We are busy getting prepared for our release of the Prism2 but greatly appreciate the comments and ideas. Once we begin shipping, it would certainly be worth looking at.

Just an FYI, the profile "Hollis" is another one of our guys here which would like to remain anonymous :D. But he is the best guy for answering any questions regarding the Prism2.

Best Regards,

Back
Top Bottom