Egypt report - Sharm El Sheikh

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I went down to Egypt for the last week of this august and was able to get a couple of days of diving in despite travelling with a non diver. This is a brief report of what my experience where.

I was hoping to get a single local dive done on wednesday, but due to some unforseen hickups this was not possible and I had to do two dives instead of one.
There are enforced quite strict rules and regulations with regards to marine activity in Sharm El Sheikh and it shows. The rules include no touching anything and a mandatory check dive before you are taken to "more advanced sites".
The dive at White Knight was quite crowded and got kind of silted up not long into the dive - not only by the 10 people on our boat.
The reefs where very nice and there was a nice ammount of sealife there, despite the crowd that was there, both consisting of snorklers closer to the shore and divers in the water.
The second dive was at Ras Bob which also was an awsome dive with a lot of what I consider "medium sized" fish of a variety of colors and shapes. This site was also somewhat less crowded which I like.
My camera also liked being taken for a proper test :D.

The 2nd dive we went out to Ras Muhammad which was exactly where I hoped to be able to dive the 2nd day.
On our way out we came across a pod of 20-25 Rissos dolphins showing off and taunting us for our crappy underwater skills. Dolphins are truely amazing animals and only coming across those would almost be worth the trip by itself. But just almost :eyebrow:.

The first dive we did was Jack Fish Alley. Here, just like the local dives the reefs where in very nice condition and the sealife where plentiful. We also met a quite big barracuda that my dive buddy had a chance to have a pretty close look at.
We where watching two of the other divers surfacing as we heard a bout and was concerned they might have been heading towards it, but when we confirmed them to be safe, we turned back to where we where heading and at this point my buddy looked straight into the eyes of the barracuda. The look on her face was just priceless. Too bad I couldnt get a decent picture of it before the fish decided to find something better suited for a snack.
2nd dive of the day was Shark & Yolanda, which is one of the big attractions of Ras Muhammad. The downside with that is that it was quite a few people there, but fortunately we wherent crowded during the dive and had a nice dive in currents that kept changing directions. The currents where not very strong, but given how they where changing it would definetly not be a "begginer drift dive". For parts of the dive we where also swimming against the current, something that would be a challenge for someone with a high(er) air consumption considering the effect it has on air consumption.
The third dive we did this day was Ras Um El Sid. That is, when we got going :rofl3:.
About five minutes into the dive at 30 feet. I hear a huge bang and prepare myself to get a falling object hitting me in the head. However, looking around I can see no divers or boats just above me and then I see our guide sharing air with one of the other divers and surfacing. Turns out he blew his HP hose which needed to be replaced.
The corrals here where very nice with lots of fish in all sizes shapes and colors. Probably the overall most entertaining of the 5 dives I got to do, nicely ended with a napoleon wrasse stalking the coral from above during our safety stop.
This was the most square profile we had during the week and at times the current where quite noticable.
The only sucky part was that if the dive had been 3 minutes longer wed get to meet the turtle that had to be playing infront of the boat as I went up the ladder.

Overall ill rate the dives on this trip higher than my sea dives in Mexico last year. The cenotes is goign to be hard to top though. My impression is also that although both cozumel and Sharm is quite crowded, the dives in sharm was much better, both with regards to corrals and sealife.

I have uploaded some pictures to the board at http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=3506 but I have not chosen the pictures by picture quality, but much also by how they describe the diving I had in Sharm. Some of them are good, some of them is just descriptive. All of them are downsized - a lot.

Thax for a nice report fellow-Norwegian!
I've had great dives in Sharm aswell,
allthough lately I've found Dahab to give better value..

...all the hasseling about "bad local Sharm dives" is just BS.... the local dives are good too

BR
Martin

The main difference between the local dives and the more remote sites is that the local ones generally are more crowded as far as I saw..

Right the best dives that you can do on daily trips from Sharm is Ras Mohamed and the wreck of Thistlegorm. This dives are top.
But if you go North, Dahab will be the place for divers. It's a small place not crowded backpackers style and top diving. The famous blue hole is there... if u are a advanced diver don't miss it. Camel ride to the dive site is also something for the one who is searching for a big change.

I would rather put my head up a dead bear's arse than spend an hour and half on a camel to either Gabr El Bint or Abu Galum in Dahab!! :mooner:

Both are accessible by available boats and there is no need to put yourself through purgatory to get to some pretty good diving.

However I do concur that Dahab is much better value than Sharm. Especially where frayed nerves come to it.
Dahab is chilled (almost sub-zero) by comparison to Sharm.
I would never go back to working in Sharm.

I'd rather ride a camel, an hour and half, into the desert to go diving!! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom