Strobes for Nikonos V...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DailyLunatic

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought a used Nikonos V from a friend last year and now I need a strobe for it. I TRY to support my LDS (unsuccessfully, but thats another story) but they don't carry Nikonos. I'd like to find out if something they do carry will work.

The two brands they do carry are Bonica & Sealife.

1] What would I have to get to let one of these strobes serve for my Nikonos V? My LDS does not know.

2] Is there any potential headache assocated with purchasing one of these brands they carry for my Nikonos V?

3] What kind of service issue will I have if I get a brand of strobe NOT supported by my LDS?

I know very little about strobe compatibility and Nikonos. But since Bonica and Sealife are on the lower end of the scale from Nikonos I'd venture a guess that they are not compatible.

Your LDS won't be the one servicing your strobe, it's not like having your dive gear serviced. Every manufacturer has certain authorized repair facilities and if you need it, you'll be asked to send your strobe there.

Very, very few dive shops carry quality camera gear. I wouldn't worry about supporting your LDS with this purchase. Look for a reputable online dealer such as B&H Photo, Adorama, etc. and buy a quality strobe that will perform as well as your camera will.

The SeaLife and Bonica strobes are not compatible with a Nikonos. There is no cable that would allow a Nikonos to fire either of those strobes, and even if there was, it wouldn't be TTL compatible and there would be no way to change the strobe power (other than holding it farther/closer).
Supporting your LDS is extremely admirable, but you may want to suggest they contact Ikelite to see if carrying/ordering their products is a possibility if ya want to be true to your LDS in this case. An Ikelite strobe with a modelling light is hard to beat. If yer looking to save some $ they're fairly common on eBay.

For Ikelite service you send the strobe directly to them - they have one of the best service reputations in the business.

You have three choices. OK, there are a couple more, but in the mainstream are:

1) Nikonos. Visit www.helix.com. They have inventory on SB105's and often have them on e-bay.

2) Ikelite

3) Sea & Sea

Your biggest service issues will be with the Nikonos strobe. Nikon is abandoning the u/w market.

Any of these brands and all but one Sea & Sea model will work with the Nikonos V. Just get the right sync cord.

I'm partial to Ikelite.

There are always a half dozen SB-105 Nikon strobes on eBay at any given time. You should be able to get one for $325-$400. You will also need a tray and arm for the strobe.

Back
Top Bottom