Help with tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eilandgirl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and myself are traveling to North Sulawesi for 3 weeks of diving this October and November. We will be staying at 3 different resorts. This is our first trip to this area and we would welcome any suggestions on appropriate tips for dive masters or guides.

As Manager of a Dive Resort in Lembeh I can tell you that there are NO "hard and fast " rules in regard to tipping, however ANY tip that you give will be most appreciated--and is of course given at your discretion based on the quality of the service you received.

However, since the diving is normally the "main event" here, I would be glad to explain how WE handle the tips/gratuities, just send me a PM and I'll give you the details.

I will also add that a LOT depends on where you are from (USA, UK, Asia, Scandinavia etc..) and your personal and cultural experiences...Seeing it from my perspective, it's almost merits doing an anthropological study on the various attitudes towards tipping, and how different people from different parts of the World approach this sometimes "delicate" subject....

Safe trip and happy diving!
HMB

It would be more helpful to post your thoughts on tipping. I am leaving for Bali and Wakatobi in a few weeks and more detailed info would be appreciated by myself and others I think, thanks

I gave a tip for the general staff and a separate one for my dive guide(s). There is often a general staff tip box.

If you are bringing US dollars cash by all means make sure the bills are crisp and clean with no tears. Preferably recently printed. Because of counterfeiting it hard to change old bills and dirty bills.

When I need US$100 bills I always call the bank and speak to the merchant section and ask them if they can save me crisp new $100 bills. The higher the denomination that better the rate. So a $100 bill will have an higher exchange rate than five $20 bills.

Remember to keep Indonesia rupiah cash for your airport departure tax and a snack or meal at or on the way to the airport.

As HMB says no hard and fast rules

And Additional to Alans comments make sure the bills are not 2000 and before - also they have no marks on them whether they be bank stamps or writing (will not be accepted) also stay away from any notes that have the prefix CB - (will not be accepted regardless of their printed dates)

Be aware that there are different exchange rates depending on the denomination of notes the smaller the less you will get. Banks will take smaller notes, money exchangers you will find all over the place but do not like small notes. Also be careful of these money exchangers as some will charge a commission.

Just give what you feel is appropriate ($100 US is a lot of cash for some Indonesians)

Peter thanks for that CB prefix thing....Had a few bills tucked away for my upcoming trip with that prefix!

Keep in mind the average working class job in Bali pays $2-$3US per day. I think Sulawesi salaries may be closer to $4US per day. Local DM's make more, but not alot more.

$100 is a very generous tip. It may spoil the DM, or it may pay for a year of his child's education ;-).

scubaschne,
i'm going to bali and wakatobi the 2 week of november.
i'll be staying on their liveaboard for a week.
may i ask a few questions ?
i'd like to know what the water temp will be.
does the package include drinks like soda and beer?
i plan on tipping 10 percent of the package cost.
will this be ok ?
thank you for your help.
regards,

My notes on US$100 bills include CK and CD as well as CB. The newer the banknote the better. Apparently these series had been extensively counterfeited.

Some Indonesia banks have two ATMs. one that gives large bank notes and one that give smaller bank notes. Just ask the locals which is which.

Some resort will apply 10% for service charge included in the bill. If this the case, I'll not put anything into the general staff tip box. I'll tip my DM only - depend on how good their service and how long he/she guide me - typically Rp. 100,000 - 1,000,000 - on the last dive.
If no 10% service charge; and their service is excelent I have no problem to put 5 - 10% of my bill into tip box.
But if their service is poor - sorry, no tip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom