Indonesia / Philippines / Malaysia??? Please help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

escher123

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies to my earlier posts! You guys are so helpful Thanks a ton. Regarding our trip to SE Asia in Feb 2009, we'd like to do either one of Philippines, Indonesia, or Malaysia. The places that we've kinda narrowed it down to in each of these countries are:

1) Philippines: Cebu or Dumaguete (Apo reef), Cabilao Island, Alona beach, Bohol.
2) Indonesia: Siladen (Bunaken, North Sulawesi) or Lombok (gili trewangan?)
3) Malaysia - KK, Sipadan/Kapalai

My main factors in choosing a destination are

1) the weather
2) the type of marine life we'd see (not too keen on macro/ muck-diving, prefer larger marine life - colourful fish, turtles, sharks, rays, coral reefs, etc)
3) the ability to snorkel close to the resort where we stay (i.e., would be nice if the resort has a house reef)
4) and given that I'm a complete novice at scuba diving - we'd like to go some place where currents are not too strong, and the water is warm. My fiance on the other hand has an advanced certification so ideally we'd like to go someplace where theres something challenging for him as well!
5) Nice resorts (but not over the hill on $$!)- as this is going to be our honeymoon!

Please help!!!

Cheers

PS: sorry if you've stumbled upon this post on other forums under Asia - I didn't know which one country to put it under so I had to post it on all three country's forums!

Thanks for the replies to my earlier posts! You guys are so helpful Thanks a ton. Regarding our trip to SE Asia in Feb 2009, we'd like to do either one of Philippines, Indonesia, or Malaysia. The places that we've kinda narrowed it down to in each of these countries are:

1) Philippines: Cebu or Dumaguete (Apo reef), Cabilao Island, Alona beach, Bohol.
2) Indonesia: Siladen (Bunaken, North Sulawesi) or Lombok (gili trewangan?)
3) Malaysia - KK, Sipadan/Kapalai

My main factors in choosing a destination are

1) the weather
2) the type of marine life we'd see (not too keen on macro/ muck-diving, prefer larger marine life - colourful fish, turtles, sharks, rays, coral reefs, etc)
3) the ability to snorkel close to the resort where we stay (i.e., would be nice if the resort has a house reef)
4) and given that I'm a complete novice at scuba diving - we'd like to go some place where currents are not too strong, and the water is warm. My fiance on the other hand has an advanced certification so ideally we'd like to go someplace where theres something challenging for him as well!
5) Nice resorts (but not over the hill on $$!)- as this is going to be our honeymoon!

Please help!!!

Cheers

PS: sorry if you've stumbled upon this post on other forums under Asia - I didn't know which one country to put it under so I had to post it on all three country's forums!
Hi,

Lombok is a very nice place, diving is good, Accommodation not expensive and this place still kept its natural and original beauty. Moreover Bali is at short distance and can be visited at reasonable cost. For info we have selected Lombok instead of Bali as our departure base for our liveaboard to Komodo for next season.
Enjoy your trip

Never been to Cebu or Dumaguete (Apo reef), Cabilao Island, Alona beach, Bohol - so can't comment.
KK is nice place, good seafood, lovely resorts - Sutera Harbour is our favorite; but diving at TAR marine parks is not special.
Sipadan excelent for diving but overprice.
May be subjective but I'll vote Bunaken or Bali. If you choose Bunaken, you must give lembeh a try at least 1 day; with possibility to extend several days. I was not very positive with muck diving before; but once I tried; I love much.
In term of marine diversity and topsites - Bali will over more choices; also best for money. Mimpi Tulamben is nice resort for honeymooner - their house reef is only 20 m from your breakfast.

Hi!
Weatherwise, I would suggest the Philippines in February, as it will be pretty rainy in most of Indonesia and Sabah.
Apo Island is near Dumaguete, Apo Reef is somewhere else. The Dumaguete area offers muck diving and beautiful coral around Apo. Alona Beach is also quite nice, Cabilao can be dived from there as well.
Other options include Southern Leyte and Malapascua. Generally, great walldiving in the Philippines, good macro, often incredibly good guides, but not so much big fish.
Apo Island is famous for its currents.
Cheers,
Liberty

I have heard the weather is good in the Philippines in Feb...I'm headed there in late Feb...Have you looked at Palau from mid Feb thru May is the best weather and some of the best diving!

Back
Top Bottom