Ready for drysuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diveandclimb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've only done a dozen or so dives since my OWs but I have an opportunity to get a great deal on a drysuit and I'm wondering whether I should go for it and do my drysuit training. Is there any reason that I would need more experience before I'm ready? Also, I don't own most of my own gear yet but I will within the next few months. Would I be able to use rental gear with my drysuit (will most LDSs throw an extra inflator hose on a rental reg if you ask when booking the rental) for the drysuit cert class? Should I be waiting until I have my AOW before I get drysuit trained. Thanks.

Is there any reason that I would need more experience before I'm ready?
I don't see why. Up here, the OW classes require you to use a drysuit for your certification dives. You're already "a dozen or so" dives ahead of the OW students making their first drysuit dives up here :)

Also, I don't own most of my own gear yet but I will within the next few months. Would I be able to use rental gear with my drysuit (will most LDSs throw an extra inflator hose on a rental reg if you ask when booking the rental) for the drysuit cert class?
When you buy a drysuit, it will probably come with a hose (mine did) - but if it doesn't, then you should buy a hose with the drysuit. The little connectors on the drysuit valve end of thing can vary and it may be useful for you to train with one that you will actually be using in the long term. The cost of the hose is nothing compared with the cost of the drysuit, so you may as well buy one.

Should I be waiting until I have my AOW before I get drysuit trained.
As for the AOW class - you can do like my wife did. Take the AOW class and pay for an extra dive, for a total of 6. You can use one of the AOW classes as one of the required two dives for a drysuit cert, and then get the second one with the extra (6th) dive. But you certainly don't need AOW before the drysuit class - not by any stretch.

Go for it. In northern climates some student initially certify.

Take a course or have a mentor show you the ropes. Above all make the first few dives conservative until you feel you really have the hang of it. Most seasoned divers recall that it took 10-20 dives before they could handle themselves as well dry as wet. With only 12 dives total to your name take it easy.

Pete

Yes, go for it. It's never too soon.

Nude diver covered the specific points. (Seems a weird thing to type, but can't complain given my screen name!)

theskull

I was in a similar position. I had perhaps a dozen dives in warmer water but there was no way I was going to be able to keep diving locally in the winter with a wetsuit. (I know, I know, lots of divers do). I was dry suit certified about two weeks before a sea lion encounter. Great experience. Then, I dove all winter. Go for it.

I would say go for it. Drysuits are easy enough to dive in. If you have a friend that uses a drysuit, don't bother with the course, just get them to take you out and show you the ropes.

The hose should come with the suit. If not, they are inexpensive to buy your own. :)

But yea, I got a drysuit recently... can't recommend them highly enough! :)

If I remember diveandclimb, you are a younger diver right. Unless you have a very experienced mentor I would suggest taking the course. I remember my first DS experience (in a pool) as 45 minutes of cardio doing somersaults trying to get used to purging the air filling my boots (the boots were too big for my feet). Not something you want to be doing in the ocean.
There are a few skills to master but nothing too hard and now is as good a time as any.
Also, most rental shops that rent drysuits will also probably rent reg sets with drysuit inflators although (IMO) your first major purchase should be a reg set of your own (before tanks, BC, etc...).
Good luck.

If I remember diveandclimb, you are a younger diver right. Unless you have a very experienced mentor I would suggest taking the course. I remember my first DS experience (in a pool) as 45 minutes of cardio doing somersaults trying to get used to purging the air filling my boots (the boots were too big for my feet). Not something you want to be doing in the ocean.
There are a few skills to master but nothing too hard and now is as good a time as any.
Also, most rental shops that rent drysuits will also probably rent reg sets with drysuit inflators although (IMO) your first major purchase should be a reg set of your own (before tanks, BC, etc...).
Good luck.
I plan to buy all my own gear except tanks within the next few months anyway so rentals will only be an issue for a couple of dives. I do plan to take the class since I don't have anybody to teach me and I don't think it is smart to try drysuits without the training.

Dive # 10 was my first drysuit dive and I've not looked back. It extends your dive season and makes you more comfortable.

A class is a good idea any time you feel unsure. Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom