UWATEC or SUUNTO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharky001

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new computer:

UWATEC Smart PRO or Suunto VYTEC?

What are your opinions about these units? I'll be using the computer in the Pacific Northwest.

Thank you,

Michael.

Ari once bubbled...
But I would go with the Suunto.

The Vytec will let you use 3 mixes, it can take up to 99% oxygen and is, IMHO, easier to operate.
The Vytec is easy to use, but honestly, it is so conservative that by the time you are using it for diving different mixes you probably would be using it in gauge mode. Haven't pushed it into deco obligation yet, but it is restrictively conservative - my buddy's Cochran gets 10-15 minute longer NDLs by the second or third dive. Great recreational computer though.

Buy it for the AI transmitter option - if you don't want the AI, get a Vyper for less.

Have you tried the Rgbm 50 mode, does it make much of a difference?

leadweight once bubbled...
I switched it to RGBM 50 after the first time I noticed the large discrepancy between mine and my buddy's Cochran, since then the difference has been less, but I haven't done specific comparisons. Just a few more minutes extra NDL on repetitive dives.

sharky001 once bubbled...
I'm in the market for a new computer:

UWATEC Smart PRO or Suunto VYTEC?

What are your opinions about these units? I'll be using the computer in the Pacific Northwest.

Thank you,

Michael.

Are you going to buy the transmitter?
I have the Vytec and it's good.

Why not try downloading the instruction manuals
and see which functions do you prefer. It does help
in my case and I chosed the Vytec after months of consoderation.

Another vote for the Vytec. A great feature that hasn't been mentioned is the ability to upload your dive data from the unit to your PC. You just need an interface which you can buy inexpensively from fellow boardmember, jamiei.

I recommend the transmitter as well.

leadweight once bubbled...

I also didn't buy the Vytec due to its being so conservative. Great computer, just not usable for anything approaching deco.

The Smartpro is nice, but is not AI AFAIK. If you're going to be pushing rec limits at all, I would not get Suunto.

MD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom